This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sunscreen - gluten-free and Soy free?

apprehensiveengineer

apprehensiveengineer Community Regular

I thought I'd post this question since I've not been able to find a thread on this topic that is particularly recent. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for sunscreen that is very gluten-free and soy free as I am also allergic to soy. Most sunscreens I come across that look like they could be promising use evasive phrasing with respect to gluten, contain oats (can't tolerate them either) or contain tocopherol (often made from soy, has caused me problems in the past).  I'm concerned about the product being very safe (ie. tested by the company) because I wear my sunscreen while running and I sweat a lot - 100% chance it's going in my mouth.

I live in Canada, but I'm game to order online or dip across the border if necessary. So far the only brand that seems somewhat promising is Kiss My Face, but I'm a little concerned by the way they phrase "gluten free ingredients" and the fact that some of their sunscreens contain oats (potential CC risk). I'm planning on contacting the company about these concerns, but was interested if anyone is aware of other brands/products that are trustworthy. Any help would be appreciated... summer is coming!

[I currently have CeraVe SPF 30 face moisturizer, but I'm not really sure if it's safe - it does not contain gluten or oats, but their website doesn't make any claims about its safety. Comments about this would be appreciated if anyone knows anything!]

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TexasJen Collaborator

I was just about to ask the same question!  Thanks for asking. Curious to know the answer.....

cyclinglady Grand Master

I can not comment about soy, but really you just need to make sure you do not eat gluten.  So, I watch my lipstick, facial sunscreen and lipstick.  I use CeraVe products, but last year, I noted that their sunscreen now contains oats.  

Open Original Shared Link

Here is what the gluten-free Dietician (she also is the Gluten Free Watchdog which is like a gluten-free Consumer Reports) has to say about this topic:  

I hope this helps!  

Thanks for the responses! My allergy to soy is not anaphylactic and so I am a bit more willing to take risks with CC as long as there are no questionable ingredients listed. It's usually obvious right away since I'll get hives and/or an itchy mouth throat immediately, but can be subdued by taking OTC allergy meds.

I have recently cleaned house on all my personal care products as I realized from my Christmas vacation that the face soap I'd been using (Cetaphil, no gluten ingredients) was causing me problems. I replaced everything that went on or near my face (shampoo/conditioner, body/face wash, foundation, moisturizer) with certified products. So far this has made a big difference, so it's something that seems worth the trouble to me.

I'd noted that the regular sunscreens from CeraVe contain oats from one of your previous posts when I was trying to find more information about the  company, which was what initially made me concerned. For some reason, their moisturizer with SPF does not contain oats as far as the label is concerned (this is the product I have). I suppose it could be fine, but I'm just a bit worried about CC potential, since I'd imagine all their sunscreen products are made on the same line.

I think I will email CeraVe about this to confirm and will post their response here. I'm also going to contact Kiss My Face about oat CC.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I used to buy CeraVe facial sunscreen, but as I checked the label prior to purchasing more last summer, I noted the oat listing that had not been on previous bottles.    Probably, the amount is so tiny that it would not cause a reaction, but I am not a risk taker.  Do I eat sunscreen?  Well, never intentionally.  On a bike ride, I can sweat a lot.  Sunscreen is everywhere.  I am a slimy mess!  

I just found another replacement.  I still use their lotion and heavy cream though daily.  It works, I guess.  I am not looking any younger though!  Actually my skin is less dry since I added lots of fat to my diet.

I am assuming CeraVe might be using another supplier for their sunscreen.   It might even be regional.   Never called to check.  

I can share that my allergies have greatly diminished since I have gone gluten free.  They come back though if I am glutened.  An allergic reaction starts with abdominal pain first, then itching usually on my head, then itching on my arms and legs and then all the hives appear!  Lots of swelling.   Often, I pass out and then vomit.   Medications and insect bites are the worst  triggers.  Go figure.  But if I am on a long stretch of being gluten free (like now), I am okay.  Hum, just took one Tylenol dose for the flu two weeks ago and my face and eyes swelled up.....).  But other than that, I have not been on a daily antihistamine regime in months!  

I suspect a Mast Cell issue, but my doctors just say I am a really allergic person along with the rest of my siblings.  

Ok, I have received a response from Kiss My Face about their sunscreens. It's unfortunately not super helpful (as is often the case I guess). I'm inferring here that they might make their oat-containing products on the same line as their supposedly gluten-free ones, but that they clean the lines between runs. I guess that's not ideal, but without the context of what other companies do, it's hard to say if this means much. But I'm guessing that it's better than most (they are trying?). At the very least, most of the company's products are labelled as gluten-free - only a few contain oats as far as I've perused.

Since finding truly gluten-free sunscreen that doesn't contain overt soy has been a massive headache for me (CeraVe and KMF are the only companies I've found that sell products in Canada) I'm thinking I will try it out. I still have the CeraVe moisturizer with SPF 30 (no oats in this formula), but the KMF product seems to better suit my needs as I want a sport sunscreen with a high SPF (redhead, family history of skin cancer). Unfortunately, all of the equivalent CeraVe products contain oats, making it no bueno for me.

Hope this helps others. This is truly a bit of an absurd situation as sunscreen is a medical product. You'd think that there would be more interest in making certified sunscreen than say mascara or shampoo.... but I guess not :(

Hello x,

We thank you for writing us at KMF! I am happy to hear you are interested in out line. Our [sic] manufacturing facilities [sic] have a practice of GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices), all production lines are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized between any product runs. We do not test the final product for parts per billion.

Have a great rest of the week!

Janet

Kiss Customer Service

Beverage Rising Star

Andalou products are verified gluten free. I do not see a body sunscreen on their site, but I do use their facial sunscreens.  Everything I've tried is super good quality, concentrated, use very little.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Thanks! I believe I've seen their products in Whole Foods, which is good - being able to buy in-person is much more convenient.

Another one I came across recently that might be ok is Alba botanicals. They use tocopherol and leicithin in many of their sunscreens, so I will be asking them what source they use. Here's to hoping it's not soy.

Archived