Rate this topic

The transition for me was hard. I had eaten gluten my whole life;  it was the hardest at first though it has gotten lots better. although  finding the right foods was hard cause many don't say they contain wheat but they do. And it's hidden everywhere i swear. i have struggled with hair loss, intense acne and uncomfertableness when starting the new diet. When i was diagnosed it was really hard to hear, since i had been eating gluten my whole life. I have only been gluten free for 5 months now and i'm sure it will get easier in time to come.            

5 hours ago, bria whitvan said:

The transition for me was hard. I had eaten gluten my whole life;  it was the hardest at first though it has gotten lots better. although  finding the right foods was hard cause many don't say they contain wheat but they do. And it's hidden everywhere i swear. i have struggled with hair loss, intense acne and uncomfertableness when starting the new diet. When i was diagnosed it was really hard to hear, since i had been eating gluten my whole life. I have only been gluten free for 5 months now and i'm sure it will get easier in time to come.            

IN the US and Canada and many other countries, wheat can't hide in products.  It must be disclosed as an ingredient and usually has an additional warning.  

It will get easier as you go along.  You will need to read labels 

Sorta have to know your products and companies also -_-. Gotten much easier now with companies sometimes mentioning that they also manufacture wheat products. But on the bright side if you see the gluten-free certified logo you can know it is safe. And certain brands also focus only on gluten-free safe foods. And when in doubt just eat whole foods fresh foods, It really does get easier over time, I just stick to what I trust and very rarely try something from a different brand. Sometimes I find something new and epic to add to my regime, other times it bites back. Look for a gluten-free expo in your area, if you get a chance also, I loved going to the last one, so many samples to try.

Got a bit of a list here of some gluten-free foods and stuff you can get and order, I ask others to post here on their favorites if they want. Even have UPC list and how to get some things from you grocery store along with online order sources.

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/117090-gluten-free-food-alternatives-list/

Welcome Bria :)

21 hours ago, bria whitvan said:

I have only been gluten free for 5 months now and i'm sure it will get easier in time to come.    

It does and it will! 

Over time you build up a list of trusted products and brands and get to know which shops are worth checking out, or which food outlets have a trusted go to snack. 

You learn to keep some safe snacks to hand, I keep some in my car, in a bag in case I travel somewhere etc. 

I try and cook fresh wherever possible but I have a couple of ready meals which are safe just in case and the freezer helps to ensure I have choices. 

It's junk food, but I was delighted when I found I could eat mcdonalds fries and strawberry sundae's, because suddenly I had something readily available that could keep the hunger pangs away in a pinch. 

5 months in is still relatively early. It will continue to get easier and you may have some more healing to come.