This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Did anybody else adopt more allergies by going gluten free?

PurpleKhajiit

PurpleKhajiit Newbie

So, I have full blown Celiac's disease, and after I had gotten all gluten out of my system, I adopted new allergies. 

I am suddenly allergic to both latex, and bandage adhesive. I'm allergic to my dog suddenly. And I am allergic to almonds all the sudden too.

My friend who also has Celiac's noticed similarities with this, for she got random new allergies as well when she went gluten free.

I have "Silent Celiac's" and have absolutely no symptoms when I eat gluten except mild nausea and body aches, and I'm starting to wonder if going gluten free is worth it, because I didn't improve most of my health issues I have from other diseases. And my celiacs wasn't burdensome to begin with.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I developed a corn allergy and several new issues with food intolarance. But a whole bunch of issues cleared up getting  off them. After a few years of healing several have gone back away and I can eat some of them again as I healed. This happens for some of us, the fact you had major changes negative or otherwise shows gluten was damaging your gut. If you stay on it the damage to you gut, immune system, etc. will get progressively worse. Your recent allergies might go away in 6-12 months as you heal, your systems just a bit shocked right now. 

• 1 month later...
GFinDC Veteran

My hayfever allergy symptoms reduced after going gluten-free.  I did develop several food intolerances though.   Some persisted, but some did not.

cyclinglady Grand Master

It is worth it!  I know it can be hard to remain gluten free because you are a silent celiac.  It is hard, but it is critical.  Untreated celiac disease can lead to other AI issues and cancer (that one is pretty rare, but let's put it out there).  But....you know all that.  

Allergies?  Start researching Mast Cell Activation Syndrome which is not a normal allergy per se, but has all the symptoms of an allergy (mast cells gone crazy/histamine releasing).      Best bet is to get to an allergist to rule out IgE allergies first.  MCAS or MCAD (disorder) is not related to an AI issue like celiac disease, but our immune systems are hypersensitive (gee, we're bored, so let's start attacking our own body for the fun of it!")

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

Hi sorry I'm chiming in late you posted earlier in the month but I've been off the boards ironically learning how to adjust every recipe or create new ones due to managing  my intolerances that developed after my gluten challenge in 2016.  My body still finds things to react about as cycling lady said. I read up on Mast cells (again -I took immunology classes as undergrad) and I have become meticulous about thresholds and rotation of foods and noting reactions etc.

My body tells me , I respect it, and listen, so it can guide me so I don't create anymore food intolerances. It is likely not completely under my control, but the more I am aware of my personal thresholds and practice food rotations it helps manage my symptoms and I hope, keeps my immune system in check. Gluten is gone forever which my husband and I figured years back. My new gluten is corn at this stage. I think it is likely gone for good.

Right now I've managed to add back in white potato, egg , almond milk, celery, pineapple, cod liver oil, rice and occasional gluten-free bread from great harvest or udis, I rotate them as well. I have to watch thresholds on white potato and rice. The rice can be from Thailand, but I react to rice made in the USA. My husband and I can only speculate why I can have a particular brand of rice from a particular store grown in Thailand. I am grateful to companies that try to be transparent and go beyond the basic labeling regulations it is crucial to me at this stage, but ultimately my body is the all knowing authority on everything. To make my life more simplistic I bought a spiralizer and just skip the grain as much as possible.

As others said above stay off gluten for sure. Break up with it permanently  like it's the worst love interest you ever had. Gone forever. Believe that diagnosis take it seriously. I wish my path had not been a long 4 decade ordeal, so my wish is for people to find out earlier and avoid the duration and  health landmines  I have had.

I have had a long series of enigma lifetime symptoms of environmental allergies and reactions over my lifetime. My multiple food intolerances did not flare until after I was gluten-free for 3 1/2 years got badly cc and finally underwent the gluten challenge. I had 8 intolerances after and honestly it was like a domino fell and I have more that pop up. I tried a glass of wine / watered down as a spritzer the other day for my bday as a treat ( for I fully acknowledge alcohol is inflammatory) which is free from gluten-free and my intolerances . well I'll admit I cried as I  told my husband I have to give up wine too . my body just can't handle  additional inflammation from non nutritive food sources right now no bday amnesty will be given.

The latex issue is interesting. I had that too in 2008 one of the time periods  when my immune system was going haywire. I went and sought allergy testing then to discover why  I was reacting to contact latex, rubber,delayed skin hypersensitivity and shortness of breath, headaches, and chemical sensitivities to home cleaning supplies, cosmetics, asphalt fumes, and fragrances etc. To my dismay despite calling ahead and asking for specific testing (the office staff  lied, at the appt. The DR when I asked directly didn't have that testing) I was scratched tested instead for typical environmental allergens and  given a whole new diagnosis / set of environmental allergens , told I wasn't allergic to latex, was given no reason why I reacted to latex ,  rubber, etc. by skin contact it must be eczema see a dermatologist. Additionally I was told I had asthma and prescribed an inhaler. I left defeated. I yet again failed to be an advocate for myself despite my efforts and self knowledge my immune system was off.

ALL WRONG -fast forward 2016 many of these allergens and asthma were debunked again and a New allergist actually listened to me and( knew her stuff )as she realized  it wasn't the IgE pathway environmental allergens  reacting at all, but the other immune pathways triggered by food (gluten) causing me to react which then triggered an overactive immune response to manifest IgE like symptoms to environmental allergeans. She finally sent me to an asthma, food allergist expert a (non I gE immunologist that also works in conjunction with a gi Dr/ celiac team) who tested me for asthma & celiac . I don't have asthma (which I knew ) I get shortness of breath and react to environmental allergens (yes airborne wheat/gluten or environmental irritants pollen, dust, pets, chemicals) (not a true I gE reaction but a mix of IgE like symptoms are triggered but likely a reaction once my food intolerance to gluten gets triggered and my immune system  goes nuts on well-everything so it seems . I can even manifest some  IgE symptoms which apparently is what confused Dr s in the past. It has taken me 4 decades and many Dr s partial hits/ mostly misses, my own under grad interests, my cousin being diagnosed celiac, and personal research to uncover my issues. Most of all my husband's help of telling me bread is bad for you from pure physical observation.

I can tell you why I believe I react to latex at the time and why I'm careful with it when my celiac symptoms are triggered . My undergrad degree is biology in the 90's I worked /wore latex gloves multiple times of day not only in school but as a PT lab tech . Back then they powdered gloves often times with wheat or gluten as a component. My immune system recalls this and when I'm exposed to gluten/wheat my immune system is on high alert for latex as well for it has to protect my respiratory tract from that airborne gluten from that glove. My immune system gets ready to protect my skin from gluten and will manifest atopic rash. Now  I wear non latex bandages, gauze and medical tape, or Nu skin when I have paper cuts etc. I try not to get any skin openings. I ask Dr s/ dentists to wear nitrile. In 2008-2010 when I'd ask them to wear nitrile gloves I usually got attitude and was told I didn't have a latex allergy . Makes one want to stop going to medical professionals with bedside manner like that.   Someone /somewhere in 2010 must of written in my chart about my concerns and it manifesting as a skin issue ( I thank them -unknown medical person) because now they just wear nitrile and refrain from berating me about my negative latex allergy result. What started this 2008 chapter of my misdiagnosed/undiagnosed celiac flare, bad joint pain, feeling my thyroid was malfunctioning, and I went to a general Dr who told me I checked out fine but I was eating too many eggs and needed to eat more fiber multi grains for my IBS (debunked misdiagnosis per 2016) and to watch my cholestrol even though it was fine. I began eating multigrain bread daily and the allergies/sensitivities began ie celiac

So don't eat gluten if your body is reacting to latex that immune system is on high alert you don't want to experience the sensitivities I know. They will be everywhere cigarette smoke, perfumes, cleaners, latex, asphalt , airborne flour at grocery stores . I sound dramatic but it's real to me and mostly I do not share this information with people because they can be quite judgemental and rude. 

I know it was a long post. I share this because I know some celiac and NCGS on here know/ understand. Also so that a potential undiagnosed/misdiagnosed celiac will read this in the future and feel validated and given clarity. Lastly, even a Dr who may not know what it's like may read this and treat their sensitive celiac/NCGS with a more compassionate bedside manner.

You are not alone.

Lastly, I recommend the book Food Allergies and Food Intolerance by Jonathan Brostoff MD and Linda Gamlin. He explains it all well, gets it, and is out of London . One day I may inquire with  Midwest USA medical schools to suggest it be required reading for any first year med /nursing students for that may help educate and give better bedside manner awareness in USA medical physicians and staff and help identify celiac, food intolerance s, allergies, and all multi system manifestations of the immunological variety. It is long over due for celiac/NCGS/ autoimmune disorders. Of course if that can't be done making celiac screening more prevalent is also an option.

Good luck in your path to healing. You found the right place. We're here for you. Best Wishes.

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

Ms. Frilegh authored piece  explains it well. 

Here it is if you haven't read it.

https://www.celiac.com/blogs/37/Outnumbered---Celiac-Disease-and-Multiple-Chemical-Sensitivities.html

Archived