Rate this topic

I looked up the website and called.  Baush and Lomb said that their products do not contain gluten, but they do not test the finished product or verify raw materials for gluten contamination.   This company has strict manufacturing processes (hubby once worked in pharmaceutical manufacturing).  I would take them.  Studies show  this supplement may help with MD.  My FIL is currently dealing with cataracts, MD, and glaucoma.  I bet you are on top of your care.  He,  unfortunately,  has prided himself on not going to the doctor.  Big mistake, but at 82, it can be hard to change.  

However, this happened to me on an antibiotic recently.    It did not contain gluten, but was not tested.  I did a risk analysis and determined that I needed the antibiotic (dental infection).  I did call the manufacturer and got the same response as your vitamin inquiry.   The odds were that I would not get glutened -- and I did not!  

It would be reassuring to see if anyone has taken this product, but I would say it is safe.  

I am sure you already know this, but please wear your sunglasser.  Research shows that UV rays may contribute to MD.  Who knows?  But my FIL never wore them.  

Edited by cyclinglady

18 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

I looked up the website and called.  Baush and Lomb said that their products do not contain gluten, but they do not test the finished product or verify raw materials for gluten contamination.   This company has strict manufacturing processes (hubby once worked in pharmaceutical manufacturing).  I would take them.  Studies show  this supplement may help with MD.  My FIL is currently dealing with cataracts, MD, and glaucoma.  I bet you are on top of your care.  He,  unfortunately,  has prided himself on not going to the doctor.  Big mistake, but at 82, it can be hard to change.  

However, this happened to me on an antibiotic recently.    It did not contain gluten, but was not tested.  I did a risk analysis and determined that I needed the antibiotic (dental infection).  I did call the manufacturer and got the same response as your vitamin inquiry.   The odds were that I would not get glutened -- and I did not!  

It would be reassuring to see if anyone has taken this product, but I would say it is safe.  

I am sure you already know this, but please wear your sunglasser.  Research shows that UV rays may contribute to MD.  Who knows?  But my FIL never wore them.  

Thank you very much. This has been helpful. I will try the vitamins.

I tried them and had a gluten reaction. I talked to their represenative and she said there are no gluten ingredients but their scientists said the raw materials do contain gluten. They still thought they were safe for gluten intolerances. I am a diagnosed Celiac and couldn't take them.  I haven't been able to find a replacement for them.

40 minutes ago, Linda1948 said:

I tried them and had a gluten reaction. I talked to their represenative and she said there are no gluten ingredients but their scientists said the raw materials do contain gluten. They still thought they were safe for gluten intolerances. I am a diagnosed Celiac and couldn't take them.  I haven't been able to find a replacement for them.

If this is the case, you should report them!  

This product is a supplement and must follow FDA food labeling rules and regulations (unlike cosmetic products).  The ingredient list does contain a highly processed Vitamin E which can be derived from wheat but most often in the US is derived from soy.    Read more about the safety of this by the gluten-free Dietician who also runs the Gluten Free WatchDog (kind of like the Consumer Reports for gluten).  

http://www.glutenfreedietitian.com/vitamin-e-from-wheat-germ-oil/

To be extra safe (and piece of mind) , you could use certified gluten free supplements that contain comparable ingredients (or food sources) of the Baush and Lomb product.  Here is the list taken from a Macular Degneration organization:

http://www.brightfocus.org/macular/news/are-you-getting-what-you-need-your-areds-supplements

500 mg vitamin C

400 IU vitamin E

10 mg lutein

2 mg zeaxanthin

80 mg zinc

2 mg copper

Just a thought (I am not a doctor or dietician).  

I hope this helps!  

@Linda1948, if you were glutened by this product you should report the company.  I was serious!  We need to advocate for the safety of our foods, supplements and prescription drugs.  

It is nerve-wracking to take a medication and really not know if the item contains gluten or not.  I personally experienced this with a recent course of antibiotics.  I had to go to six pharmacies to find a gluten free version available in stock.  I could not wait a few days for it to be ordered.  I had an infection!  I did my due diligence and found a list of antibiotics on the gluten free drug list that also reminds you to call and verify because formulations can change.  

https://celiac.org/live-gluten-free/glutenfreediet/gluten-medication/

The manufacturer was sort of helpful, but again no 100% guarantees.  Ugh!  There was a bill in Congress concerning prescription drugs, but it did not pass.  

We need to call, write and complain to our representatives.

I know that common sense should guide us, but when you are sick, who has common sense?  Not me!!!!!!

16 hours ago, Linda1948 said:

Most of the time when someone says one thing and another company rep says another, it's just inexperience and lack of education on Celiac Disease.  No company is going to tell someone that their product contains no gluten ingredients and then have someone else say the raw materials do.  I have been gluten-free for 12 years and am extremely sensitive to tiny amounts of gluten and after 12 years of taking various supplements due to severe deficiencies, I have never, ever been glutened by a med or a vitamin.

After checking the ingredients list for this, it lists tocopherols, which some people think are unsafe for Celiac's.  Basically, it's Vitamin E.  Read the following link regarding the safety of this product for us.......

http://www.glutenfreedietitian.com/vitamin-e-from-wheat-germ-oil/

I have been taking Areds 2 since the beginning of 2017 and I was getting nauseous all the time the doctor thought it was my celebrex so I stop taking it didn't seem to help much. Then I ran out of Areds 2 didn't take them for about a week just started them again and guess what the nausea is back . Going to try again tomorrow if I get the same results I'ii call the eye doctor and see what he suggest

4 hours ago, Evelyn Fullerton said:

I have been taking Areds 2 since the beginning of 2017 and I was getting nauseous all the time the doctor thought it was my celebrex so I stop taking it didn't seem to help much. Then I ran out of Areds 2 didn't take them for about a week just started them again and guess what the nausea is back . Going to try again tomorrow if I get the same results I'ii call the eye doctor and see what he suggest

Hi Evelyn,

My FIL has MD, dry.  His doctor suggested an AREDS2 supplement.  He is debating the value.  He does not have celiac disease.  According the original study, about 25% of the participants did see a benefit over a course of five years.  

https://nei.nih.gov/areds2/PatientFAQ

Consider going without the supplement for a while  and focus on increasing leafy greens into your diet daily until you and your doctor can find a safe substitute.  This product does not necessarily  not contain gluten, but it seems to be making you sick.  

Consider going back to your GI to determine if your celiac disease is actually flaring up.  You should be tested annually (standard level of care for a celiac).  

Take care!