Scott Adams

Outrage Over UK Calls to Ban Gluten-free Food Prescriptions

Rate this topic

pitchforks_torches--cc--mike_licht.jpg

Attack on prescriptions for celiac sufferers sparks strong debate. The Brits are having a bit of a dustup over the best way to help people support with celiac disease. Currently, Britain\'s National Health Service supplies prescriptions for gluten-free food staples for people with celiac disease. Seemingly, no one disagrees with medical experts that celiac suffers should get support from the National Health Service to buy certain staple gluten-free products.

View the full article

I can totally see giving support to those with limited income but is this really needed for everyone, especially since there are so many great options out there today?  I can say with all truthfulness that the gluten-free bread and products I have eaten in Britain are better than what we have in the US. I am constantly amazed at how good they are and how readily available they are in markets all over. Years ago, there was no gluten-free bread and products anywhere so a prescription was needed to obtain them. Do many of you feel this is really necessary for all Celiacs?