Noel James

Probiotic and enzymes giving false negative on blood test?

Rate this topic

My doctor suggested I have DH. He sent me for blood work that has come back negative for celiac decrease.  I ate gluten based food prior to the test but also kept taking probiotics and digestive enzymes.  I am wondering if I could get a false negative because of this. I have researched DH and it seems to fit with the skin rash I have.

The only way to diagnoses DH is With a skin biopsy.  Sometimes people with DH do not test positive on blood tests.  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-is-dermatitis-herpetiformis-dh/

"...and only about 40% of them have the positive blood tests (serology) for celiac disease...."

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/can-a-skin-biopsy-for-dermatitis-herpetiformis-dh-confirm-celiac-disease-or-is-an-endoscopy-still-needed/

Edited by kareng

Very important Noel James...... if the dermatologist takes the biopsy ON the lesion you will get a negative because that is the WRONG way to take a dh biopsy. Make sure they do it correctly. Be prepared to fight for a dh biopsy because I can just about guarantee you the derm will say it's this, it's that, it's the other & prescribe creams & lotions & pills & potions that won't do a bit of good and prolong your suffering if you do indeed have dh. Also DO NOT take oral steroids or steroid shots for 2 months prior to a dh biopsy. As with ALL celiac testing, you need to remain on a gluten diet until the biopsy has been performed.

Good luck & let us know how it goes!