• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

StrongerToday

Who's From Michigan?

Rate this topic

Hi,

Another Michigander here :) just north of Lansing. The snow is just so pretty that I don't care about the cold. Makes me want to bake a nice fresh hot loaf of Bob's Red Mill bread.

Janet

I am a Lawn Guylander now (Long Island, New York) but grew up in Ashley, Michigan. Dangerkitten, Janet, I worked in St. Johns for years. My sister is celiac and a dietician in St. Johns. There is a very nice store in Lansing on the east side that is called "Food For Life". It has a wide variety of gluten free foods and I miss that store here. The owner has only the one store. Deb

I live on Cape Cod now but I was born and raised in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan!!

Susan :)

I was born in Detroit but my aunt lives in Bloomfield Hills! I wonder if you know her? She lives on echo lane. I live in Miami now but I really miss Michigan

Any fellow Michigan-ders out there? Brrr.... it's too cold already isn't it?

Hi,

I am from Madison Heights, Michigan. Was gluten-free for 3 1/2 months, now am doing a gluten challenge. I don't know why, since blood work and endoscopy were positive. Who am I to argue with the doctor, I am really enjoying my vacation from being gluten free. LOL

Sharon

Guest Rad

Hi . . .

I grew up 30 miles northwest of Port Huron in the countryside. The nearest town is Jeddo. Am living in New Mexico now. But visit Michigan every other year; only during the beautiful summers.

Dianna

Nancy! I lived very close to Echo Lane! I had a horse and road him down Echo to a kids camp that was there, they had tons of riding trails there. Small world, no?

Susan

I'm from MI, in the Jackson area and I was hoping I could get some help about Celiac. I know if I have it for sure or not but the doctors are checking. I had some blood work done and the only thing that was "bad" was a persecntage in the gluten blood work that they did. I had a colonoscopy done and that was fine. I am have a EDG done next month and I don't know if I should go back on gluten? I have been gluten-free for about 4 months and I can totally tell when I get it in my diet. I am at a loss as to what steps to take, I think my doctor thinks its all in my head but she hasn't said no its not Celiac. Can someone offer some help?

There are lots of places you can get some help, including this board. Read a lot of messages; post a lot of questions. There is no question too personal or gross (see some of the "poop" threads if you don't believe me!). Locally, I know there's a Lansing area group and a Tri-County group - I don't have the addresses off the top of my head but I"m sure you could google them. If you have trouble let me know.

IMO the diet challenge is proof enough for me. If I eat something and feel sick from it, then I shouldn't eat it. I don't need a piece of paper telling me what I can and can not eat; in my circumstances the paper is wrong. All my blood tests came back negative; but the one time I ate wheat again I was sick as a dog. I also can't process any dairy. I'm giving my GI tract some time to heal, then will try dairy again.

You may want to read Wheat Free/Worry Free and Dangerous Grains. Also, there's lots of good cookbooks out there too - those have been very helpful to me.

You'll find lots of good info and helpful people here, so welcome and good luck!

Hello, I am from Big Rapids Michigan. Diagnosed 2 years ago this Feb 19. I am 40 years old and work for a title insurance company. I recently seperated from my husband of 7 years. I am looking for freinds. I have been alone since I was diagnosed, there are no close support groups for me, or anyone around me with celiac disease. I was also diagnosed with Microscopic Colitis. You can email me or I have yahoo messenger. My messenger Id is: lilith_of_malroy@yahoo.com

I'm originally from Georgia, but I am going to grad school at Cranbrook Academy of Art in Bloomfield Hills. Diagnosed about nine months ago and starting to feel like a real person again.

Guest lindzay
Hi, Chesterfiled ( I94 and 23mile). Celiac since birth 45 years ago.

hello me i changed my userID. I am now Lindzay.

Hi there. From Highland. Diagnosed 2-1/2 years ago. Can't wait for the warmer weather to break.

Any fellow Michigan-ders out there? Brrr.... it's too cold already isn't it?

Giulio's Cucina Italiana, Gluten Free Dining in Michigan (Livonia)

Hello fellow Michiganders

I just found a great Italian restaurant in Livonia called Giulio's Cucina Italiana. They offer Gluten free entrees including different pastas with a great choice of sauces. Their website is www.giulios.us