Rate this topic

I have been gluten free for about a month now, but after one-week gluten free, I have been having really bad acid reflux. Zantac does nothing either. I always feel it in my chest and throat. Acid reflux has never been this bad before. Is it because I stopped eating gluten or something else?

2 hours ago, Ginger1012 said:

I have been gluten free for about a month now, but after one-week gluten free, I have been having really bad acid reflux. Zantac does nothing either. I always feel it in my chest and throat. Acid reflux has never been this bad before. Is it because I stopped eating gluten or something else?

I had a similar problem! I had occasional heart burn before but it was pretty bad for 2-3 weeks after the gluten-free diet started.  Celiac can caused gastric emptying issues. So, the food and acid stay in your stomach longer so easier to get heartburn. Also, I figured that unknowingly I was eating carb-containing foods when I was feeling slight heartburn (sort of self-treating). When I was eating bread etc, their was nothing in my diet to "absorb" the acid.

I took Prilosec OTC for 2 weeks and then stopped and it seemed to get better after that.

Hope you feel better soon.

I found taking a regime of ranidine gluten-free, Nexium, and drinking aloe vera juice seems to help.       NOTE there was some testing done with zantac brand where they were coming back with small amounts of gluten in the pills.

Also when my gut is upset I find eating only soft foods helps, Steaming veggies to mush, microwaving salads, cooking eggs, and baked goods super moist via covering them while they cook.  And blend anything hard first....I blend nuts and seeds into my egg whites before cooking or eat it in a butter form. Smoothies always work, or porridge, Just making it easier for the stuff to go though the stomach and gut.

Don't forget, it could be something else like EOE.  

http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/related-conditions/eosinophilic-esophagitis

Do you have celiac disease or or Non-celiac Gluten Intolerance?  

Edited by cyclinglady