Debyii

Can I keep my cast iron pots, pans and grill

Rate this topic

Hi I havent been diagnosed with Celiac but by the time I was tested I learned of gluten allergies and after going through the withdrawls I vowed Never to eat it again. I have been glutened twice sionce so I am not going to pay another ridiculous bill. My question is can I keep my cast iron potys, pans, and griddle if I wash them by hand and than in the dishwasher using bleach or should I chalk them up to a lost? They were new but had company over and he cooked food that had gluten in them. I wash separately in the dishwasher using bleach along with soap but is that enough? 

Depends you might have luck cleaning it, you might not. -_- Personally I would not trust it, I gave mine away and got new ones. There are other members that swear you can clean them just fine.....Personally I would have to burn it glowing red in a fire and pressure wash it with a commercial steam washer before I trusted it again. But I am overly paranoid due to my extreme reactions and fear of the brain issues it cauese me (Nothing is as scary as your own brain and body turning against you)

Bleach is only good for killing bacteria.  Gluten is a sticky protein that can be removed with soap and water as long as there are no tiny crevices or it is porous.  The cast iron pan is pourous.  That would need to go through a clean cycle (very high heat) in a self-cleaning oven (after scrubbing by hand first) and then reasoned.  The grille?  A good cleaning and the baking at a high heat would do the trick (clean oven cycle or leave the grille on for an hour with the lid closed).  Stainless pans can be run through the dishowasher or scrubbed well by hand.  If a non-stick pan is pretty new and not scratch, just wash and use.  If scratched, do not use it.  

1 hour ago, Ennis_TX said:

Depends you might have luck cleaning it, you might not. -_- Personally I would not trust it, I gave mine away and got new ones. There are other members that swear you can clean them just fine.....Personally I would have to burn it glowing red in a fire and pressure wash it with a commercial steam washer before I trusted it again. But I am overly paranoid due to my extreme reactions and fear of the brain issues it cauese me (Nothing is as scary as your own brain and body turning against you)

I hear ya!  Piece of mind is priceless.  I weigh out the risks.  Is it worth $20 (or whatever) to be sick for 3 months?  Often it is not.  I guess I am not a gambler.  I know others live in a shared household successfully, but I need a safe place where I can let down my guard and relax.  

Heat can destroy gluten. Bleaches and disinfectants can not. Cast iron can be put in a self-cleaning oven. You need at least 650F for at least 30 minutes.

Non-stick coated items should be okay after taking a trip through the dishwasher.