Rate this topic

I got diagnosed with gastritis due to excessive alcohol use and have continued to have the gastritis for the past two months. About a month ago I started having digestive issues and some symptoms of celiacs. The GI and my PCP have said that alcohol shouldnt be affecting my system anymore because I haven't drank in two months and the inflammation in the stomach should have healed so something else is causing it. Considering celiacs or IBS. But what I'm wondering is did the excessive alcohol use trigger the celiacs to appear? I really hope not because this is really killing me and I'm thinking back to all the moments I could have chosen to not drink. Please help! 

Have you cut out coffee and acidic foods during the time you were trying to heal the gastritis? As well as aspirin? Because if not, you are probably not healed. 

Use low acid coffee if you must  (I use Rich Rewards) and DGL licorice root. Make sure it is DGL as plain licorice can mess with potassium. The chewables taste yummy!

I did the above and improved. My gastritis/duodenitus issues temporarily worsened after my endo because the drugs they used wreak havoc on the gut. Of course I have a slew of other wacky symptoms still. 

I assume you had an abdominal ultrasound to look at liver and gallbladder as well as serology for liver enzymes and a celiac panel? 

16 minutes ago, ironictruth said:

Have you cut out coffee and acidic foods during the time you were trying to heal the gastritis? As well as aspirin? Because if not, you are probably not healed. 

Use low acid coffee if you must  (I use Rich Rewards) and DGL licorice root. Make sure it is DGL as plain licorice can mess with potassium. The chewables taste yummy!

I did the above and improved. My gastritis/duodenitus issues temporarily worsened after my endo because the drugs they used wreak havoc on the gut. Of course I have a slew of other wacky symptoms still. 

I assume you had an abdominal ultrasound to look at liver and gallbladder as well as serology for liver enzymes and a celiac panel? 

I didn't touch coffee except for one time in the past two months. I don't take pain killers very often at all. 

Yes! the ultrasound revealed that I had a cyst in my kidney. THey said the PPI from the gastritis could be causing the loose bowels and such. But everytime I see a floating stool or the shiny oil-like film on top of the water in the stool I get so nervous and I don't know if its Celiacs or smthg else. I'm so terrified. I don't have any abdominal pain though so I don't know what's going on. 

Below are my levels from the blood test. These are the only thnks that are relating to the celiacs in the blood test. Doctors said the levels were normal? But I'm still worried.

IgA: 239 mg/dL

TtG: <2 U/mL

36 minutes ago, hersheygirl9 said:

I didn't touch coffee except for one time in the past two months. I don't take pain killers very often at all. 

Yes! the ultrasound revealed that I had a cyst in my kidney. THey said the PPI from the gastritis could be causing the loose bowels and such. But everytime I see a floating stool or the shiny oil-like film on top of the water in the stool I get so nervous and I don't know if its Celiacs or smthg else. I'm so terrified. I don't have any abdominal pain though so I don't know what's going on. 

Below are my levels from the blood test. These are the only thnks that are relating to the celiacs in the blood test. Doctors said the levels were normal? But I'm still worried.

IgA: 239 mg/dL

TtG: <2 U/mL

You did not have the whole celiac panel. DGP and EMA should be tested. 

The PPI can cause a lot of bathroom trouble. PPI's can interfere with digestion as well. Do they have you on a plan to taper off?

Growing up my celiacs was mostly just the minor symptoms, nothing major. After a huge drinking binge the symptoms got much much worse, and completely intolerable. I knew nothing at the time that I even had the disease, and even spent years thinking I was dying before getting diagnosed. Also messed up a whole lot of other things during that.

7 hours ago, ironictruth said:

You did not have the whole celiac panel. DGP and EMA should be tested. 

The PPI can cause a lot of bathroom trouble. PPI's can interfere with digestion as well. Do they have you on a plan to taper off?

For some reason the doctor didn't test for it so I'm not sure what's happening. This is so frustrating. They don't have a plan right now and they just want me to continue taking the medication until biopsy results. I really hope that it might just be the PPI causing all the issues but with my luck probably not, also the gastritis should have been gone by now. Thank you!

6 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

Growing up my celiacs was mostly just the minor symptoms, nothing major. After a huge drinking binge the symptoms got much much worse, and completely intolerable. I knew nothing at the time that I even had the disease, and even spent years thinking I was dying before getting diagnosed. Also messed up a whole lot of other things during that.

Oh man, I really hope that that's not what happened here. Sometimes, I used to experience constipation after eating bread but I don't know what's going on. This is so scary. Thank you. 

Hi and welcome :)

20 hours ago, hersheygirl9 said:

But what I'm wondering is did the excessive alcohol use trigger the celiacs to appear? I really hope not because this is really killing me and I'm thinking back to all the moments I could have chosen to not drink. Please help!

There's no real way to know exactly what triggers celiac to become active. Some report it after stress, for some pregnancy seems to trigger it. For others there's no cause as such, it just develops over time. As it has a genetic component the truth is that you've always had the capacity to develop it, so I wouldn't waste any time kicking yourself over past decisions that you can't revisit. 

You need to be kind to yourself and just focus on getting better.  There's loads of positive things you can do, from eating gut friendly foods, to probiotics etc. Just remember that you're going to improve every day as gluten is removed from your life. You're getting better and stronger and you have a lot of healing to come. 

Best of luck!