Jump to content
  • Sign Up
  • Join Our Community!

    Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Estes

Have I discovered a cure for brain fog?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I feel like I just discovered a way to have access to my brain all day.   I figured out that if I eat only protein (eggs, steak, ham, black coffee), I don't get foggy.  I wanted to share this with anyone who needs a good day.  Let me know if this works for you as well.  I think I need my other food groups in the early evening but for now I want to try protein for breakfast and lunch.  I took my D,B12,and Multi vitamins and still have a brain.  This is a huge breakthrough for me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be you react to other grains also, some celiacs also react to oats, and in rare cases all grains. Keto/paleo diet is a huge help I found, I mostly eat nuts, seeds, veggie protein powders, and egg whites myself with sides of veggies and sometimes a fig or  small piece of dried fruit. NOTE I can not digest meats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

Might be you react to other grains also, some celiacs also react to oats, and in rare cases all grains. Keto/paleo diet is a huge help I found, I mostly eat nuts, seeds, veggie protein powders, and egg whites myself with sides of veggies and sometimes a fig or  small piece of dried fruit. NOTE I can not digest meats.

I have been oat free from the start.  I eat multi grain certified gluten-free chips, rice, and popcorn.  It is likely one or all of those.  I look forward to figuring out if it's all grains.  I have been looking at Palio AIP and the Specific Carbohidrate diets.  The main differences that I want to understand are sweet potatoes, eggs, and nuts.  

I love being able to function!  Thank you for your response and insite.

I have my 1 year celiac follow up on Friday.  

Also, my family continues to eat gluten.  I do my best to avoid cross contamination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

I would definitely vouch for grain free. My symptoms got worse and worse on the standard gluten free diet! My sensitivity went sky high and I remember one episode of head fog lasted for two weeks with no break. I know people have longer-lasting head fog but this was five years after going gluten free. What got rid of the head fog and other symptoms for me was starting the Dr Fasano Gluten Cross Contamination Elimination diet in addition to Paleo. It is strict and hard work but well worth it to feel normal again.

Other than that, I have found several acupressure points on the head that help. I haven't managed to completely get rid of it but I have shifted the feeling of unreality and reduced the head fog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have posted a few grain free recipes in the cooking section for breads, biscuits, and cakes. Working on a cupcake recipe now, found I also have issues with a few other carbs like potatoes (alright with a nibble but a chunk of one will cause gastrointestinal issues) . I was using bean chips for awhile but I guess the rice in them bugged me and caused some issues. I only use 1-2 as condiments crushed over salads or in soups now, I think my only source of grains is rice protein powder if that even counts.

I will be having small amounts of gluten-free oats starting next month but not by a choice. I run a gluten-free bakery, and the market  season is coming up. Sorta have to taste a pinch off my gluten-free muffins that use gluten-free oats and almond flour in them.   This will be a nice experiment after 5 months no oats, to see how I react. Hoping to phase them out to a pure almond/coconut blend in the next season if my customers will accept them.

Pain on a paleo diet is getting enough fat and other nutrients. The keto aspect will bite your body hard if you underestimate your intake -_- I sorta just had this issues over the weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, NightSky said:

Hi,

I would definitely vouch for grain free. My symptoms got worse and worse on the standard gluten free diet! My sensitivity went sky high and I remember one episode of head fog lasted for two weeks with no break. I know people have longer-lasting head fog but this was five years after going gluten free. What got rid of the head fog and other symptoms for me was starting the Dr Fasano Gluten Cross Contamination Elimination diet in addition to Paleo. It is strict and hard work but well worth it to feel normal again.

Other than that, I have found several acupressure points on the head that help. I haven't managed to completely get rid of it but I have shifted the feeling of unreality and reduced the head fog.

Can you tell my how to avoid low carb insomnia.  If I don't get enough cards, i don't sleep.  Where do you get carbs?

Thank You!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pumpkin Seed protein powder before bed, 2-4 tsp in a bit of almond milk.

"Pumpkin seeds and the powder from pumpkin seeds have relatively high amounts of the amino acid tryptophan. Tryptophan is the amino acid the body uses to make the feel-good and relaxation neurotransmitter serotonin.  Pumpkin seeds also contain high amounts of zinc, which can help the brain convert tryptophan into serotonin. Serotonin levels are typically low in people who cannot stay asleep and wake throughout the night. Pumpkin seeds and the powder from pumpkin seeds have relatively high amounts of the amino acid tryptophan. Tryptophan is the amino acid the body uses to make the feel-good and relaxation neurotransmitter serotonin.  Pumpkin seeds also contain high amounts of zinc, which can help the brain convert tryptophan into serotonin. Serotonin levels are typically low in people who cannot stay asleep and wake throughout the night. " By Pina LoGiudice ND, LAc and Peter Bongiorno ND, LAc Directors of Inner Source Health

Normally they suggest a for tsp or two of apple sauce also for light carb to help your body convert it at higher rates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Estes said:

Can you tell my how to avoid low carb insomnia.  If I don't get enough cards, i don't sleep.  Where do you get carbs?

Thank You!

I eat butternut squash, parsnips and lots of fruit! I also eat sweet potatoes, though these are thought to be problematic according to the Specific Carbs Diet. I haven't noticed a problem with these but have yet to do a test with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

I have posted a few grain free recipes in the cooking section for breads, biscuits, and cakes. Working on a cupcake recipe now, found I also have issues with a few other carbs like potatoes (alright with a nibble but a chunk of one will cause gastrointestinal issues) . I was using bean chips for awhile but I guess the rice in them bugged me and caused some issues. I only use 1-2 as condiments crushed over salads or in soups now, I think my only source of grains is rice protein powder if that even counts.

I will be having small amounts of gluten-free oats starting next month but not by a choice. I run a gluten-free bakery, and the market  season is coming up. Sorta have to taste a pinch off my gluten-free muffins that use gluten-free oats and almond flour in them.   This will be a nice experiment after 5 months no oats, to see how I react. Hoping to phase them out to a pure almond/coconut blend in the next season if my customers will accept them.

Pain on a paleo diet is getting enough fat and other nutrients. The keto aspect will bite your body hard if you underestimate your intake -_- I sorta just had this issues over the weekend.

Does this mean you lose too much weight when the paleo diet puts your body in ketosis?  Just making sure I fully understand your last paragraph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You body will more actively burn fat for energy, thus it will turn to itself more often and quicker if you do not eat enough.  I noticed I did not eat enough this last weekend and my body depleted my stores leaving me without energy and a couple of pounds lighter.  You need to eat plenty of fats to maintain your body in this state, and plenty of protein.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/03/2017 at 7:01 PM, Ennis_TX said:

You body will more actively burn fat for energy, thus it will turn to itself more often and quicker if you do not eat enough.  I noticed I did not eat enough this last weekend and my body depleted my stores leaving me without energy and a couple of pounds lighter.  You need to eat plenty of fats to maintain your body in this state, and plenty of protein.

I agree. For fats I find avocado, bone broth, olive oil, coconut milk and a small amount of nuts helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a gluten-free vegetarian. That being said I was taking prednisone for 2 months (unrelated to my celiac) and got a diet a friend was doing and tried it to lose the 10 lbs I gained from the steroid.  I ate eggs for breakfast, hard boiled or an omelet. I had a salad with Beyond Meat Chicken (fake) for lunch and soup I made with some veggies and tofu for dinner. 

My brain fog was quite a bit less and I had crazy amounts of energy. Being a vegetarian I just can't eat that way all the time. 

Susan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pixiegirl said:

I'm a gluten-free vegetarian. That being said I was taking prednisone for 2 months (unrelated to my celiac) and got a diet a friend was doing and tried it to lose the 10 lbs I gained from the steroid.  I ate eggs for breakfast, hard boiled or an omelet. I had a salad with Beyond Meat Chicken (fake) for lunch and soup I made with some veggies and tofu for dinner. 

My brain fog was quite a bit less and I had crazy amounts of energy. Being a vegetarian I just can't eat that way all the time. 

Susan

Tell me about it, -_- when you can not eat meats, and a bunch of other things, it becomes really quite annoying getting the optimal fat/protein ratios. The amount of nuts, seeds, and vegan protein powders I go through is crazy. Diet cost me over $600 a month for a single male at 125-128lbs and 5' 11"   Egg whites is about the only animal product I can eat in large amounts (8-12) with no issues (Yolks bother me). And I only eat them for breakfast mixed with coconut flour, and nuts/seed butters to bring the fats up then use in omelettes, pancakes, waffles, or scramble them. I also normally go light for lunch, salad with jack fruit and vegan cheese or cheese sauce I make, or this week making portabello pizzas/fake bagel bites for lunch with s salad. Dinner I normally just make a huge bowl of vegan icecream with a few scoops of protein powder, and almond butter in it >.>  I just get depressed at the end of hte day and want icecream and not cook over a hot stove/oven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been on an off keto for a few years now (unrelated to celiacs), and I have found my concentration and alertness is SO much better when I'm eating a ketosis amount of carbs (under 20 net) and a little bit more fat. I'm not sure if you exercise or not, but try some sort of exercise (I like lifting but others feel better doing cardio) and once your body starts going through ketosis, it's a whole new world!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Nikkiann said:

I've been on an off keto for a few years now (unrelated to celiacs), and I have found my concentration and alertness is SO much better when I'm eating a ketosis amount of carbs (under 20 net) and a little bit more fat. I'm not sure if you exercise or not, but try some sort of exercise (I like lifting but others feel better doing cardio) and once your body starts going through ketosis, it's a whole new world!

Growing up my Dad was a competitive bodybuilder.  He would go into ketosis before competitions.  He knew because he used pee strips.  I thought ketosis was hard on a person, as in bad for your body.

Personal update:  I have been grain free for a few days now and have almost completely avoided brain fog.  I still eat sweet potatoes so I am getting enough carbs and sleeping well.  I weigh the same and I am happy!

Friday is my colonoscopy and endoscopy to see how I am doing now at the 1 year mark.  I also have eosinaphalic esophagitis, hiatal hernia and GERD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Estes said:

Growing up my Dad was a competitive bodybuilder.  He would go into ketosis before competitions.  He knew because he used pee strips.  I thought ketosis was hard on a person, as in bad for your body.

Personal update:  I have been grain free for a few days now and have almost completely avoided brain fog.  I still eat sweet potatoes so I am getting enough carbs and sleeping well.  I weigh the same and I am happy!

Friday is my colonoscopy and endoscopy to see how I am doing now at the 1 year mark.  I also have eosinaphalic esophagitis, hiatal hernia and GERD.

Atkins is bad for your body, ketosis for the most part is fine (depends on your body). People who intake too much fat while trying to go through ketosis are at risk for stones. I think your route is the best though to be honest. Sweet potatoes and some antioxidant enriched fruits are a good source of carbohydrates while having a low-carb diet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nikkiann said:

Atkins is bad for your body, ketosis for the most part is fine (depends on your body). People who intake too much fat while trying to go through ketosis are at risk for stones. I think your route is the best though to be honest. Sweet potatoes and some antioxidant enriched fruits are a good source of carbohydrates while having a low-carb diet. 

Thank you Nikkiann.  It's nice to feel like I figured something out and am on a good path.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Top Posters +

  • Upcoming Events

    • March 24, 2019 Until March 27, 2019
      0  
      NEW ORLEANS GOURMET GLUTEN-FREE mini GETAWAY    March 24 ~ 27, 2019   We have arranged a fun and Gluten-free food filled mini in the city known for it's food and fun.  We have arranged to eat many of the famous dishes that aren't usually Gluten-free at a few of the World Renown restaurants.   Staying at the Royal Sonesta Hotel on Bourbon Street in the center of the French Quarter, you'll be able to enjoy the ambiance of the city at all hours.   Our itinerary will include a Luxury Coach tour of the city and surrounding area - Admission to The National World War II Museum, including the Tom Hanks" 4D film "Beyond All Boundaries" - an exciting Airboat ride and tour through the Bayou.      This it the 3rd time we have visited New Orleans and it has always been well attended, so join us even if you've been there before.  Check out our website for the complete itinerary and cost.    Due to contractual obligations we must have 20 participants by October 31, 2018 to make this a go.      If you have any questions just give us a call at 410-939-3218.  Bob & Ruth info@bobandruths.com (410) 939-3218
    • March 27, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM
      0  
       
       
       
      Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group
       
       
       
      Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.
       
      The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.
       
      The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.
       
      The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • March 30, 2019 Until March 31, 2019
      0  
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com 
       
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      86,786
    • Most Online
      4,125

    Newest Member
    Angelo z
    Joined
  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      112,058
    • Total Posts
      956,633
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Forum Discussions

    60% of those with DH test false negative on the celiac serum panel.  http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-is-dermatitis-herpetiformis-dh/ A positive dh biopsy is a dx of celiac disease, no further testing is needed. The dh biopsy alone is definitive. http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/how-is-dermatitis-herpetiformis-dh-diagnosed/ http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/can-a-skin-biopsy-for-dermatitis-herpetiformis-dh-confirm-celiac-disease-or-is-an-endoscopy-still-needed
    NO. Just like for the serum panel, you have to have been eating a full gluten diet for 3 months prior to testing. The dh biopsy requires the same time frame. http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/im-scheduled-to-have-a-skin-biopsy-to-screen-for-celiac-disease-should-i-maintain-a-gluten-containing-diet-similar-to-those-who-are-being-screened-via-blood-or-intestinal-biopsy/ http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge/ And ask me how many times people have thought
Welcome!   The TTG IgA can be elevated due to other Autoimmune disorders, but just slightly.  Your result definitely requires you to be referred to a GI for further evaluation (e.g. small intestinal biopsies).  My guess?  Your odds that you have celiac disease is very high.   I am a TD2, have celiac disease, and have many intolerances and allergies.  The good news is that you many be able to ditch the MAOI diet once your small intestine heals!  
  • Blog Entries

  • ×
    ×
    • Create New...