This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Starbucks new gluten free breakfast sandwich?

Nikki2777

Nikki2777 Community Regular

I know they're brand new, but has anyone with Celiac tried the gluten-free Breakfast Sandwiches with Canadian Bacon that Starbucks just introduced?

I asked at my local Sbux this morning and while they are packaged on arrival, they seem to be heated up on a new sheet of paper but in a shared oven (microwave?)  The barista suggested maybe taking it up to my office and microwaving it there, but couldn't confirm that their 'oven' is a microwave vs. something else.  The Starbucks press release says there's no risk of cross-contamination but I know better than to risk it without checking in with you smart folks.

A good, readily accessible breakfast sandwich would be life-changing for me ;-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced
1 hour ago, Nikki2777 said:

I know they're brand new, but has anyone with Celiac tried the gluten-free Breakfast Sandwiches with Canadian Bacon that Starbucks just introduced?

I asked at my local Sbux this morning and while they are packaged on arrival, they seem to be heated up on a new sheet of paper but in a shared oven (microwave?)  The barista suggested maybe taking it up to my office and microwaving it there, but couldn't confirm that their 'oven' is a microwave vs. something else.  The Starbucks press release says there's no risk of cross-contamination but I know better than to risk it without checking in with you smart folks.

A good, readily accessible breakfast sandwich would be life-changing for me ;-)

Geez.....as usual, European Starbuck's offer way more than their American counterparts but we have crazy liability laws here in the States and people are sue happy here so we may never have these breakfast goodies.  :angry:

Nikki.....I would ask to see the inside of the oven they use.  The ones they use here in the States are very accessible to people standing in line.  If it isn't really clean, then I would probably not use it.  They would have to change their gloves, use clean tongs and clean paper in a clean oven. I have found that the folks working in Bucky's in the UK do a stellar job with cc issues.....that has been my experience.  I hope you can let us know whether you do taste them because I am coming in May and you are right....a nice, good easy breakfast sandwich would be fantastic!

kareng Grand Master

The thing I saw said they are supposed to be able to heat them in the little package they come in.  Then just hand you the packaged sandwich.

kareng Grand Master

Just heard from someone who got one.  Hers was heated in the original bag.  I guess not all Starbucks have well trained employees.  Sigh.  We must always be vigilant

kareng Grand Master

Open Original Shared Link

"It's all prepared in a certified gluten-free environment and sealed for your safety. We then warm and serve it in its own oven-safe parchment bag to avoid any cross-contamination."

• 2 weeks later...
Nikki2777 Community Regular

Reporting back that i have had them several times now, with no problem.  I dust off the bag with a napkin before i open it, just in case they used tongs to take it out of the oven, but in general it seems very safe.  Seriously - this is a huge win for me, and likely for others.  Thank you, Starbucks!

kareng Grand Master
4 hours ago, Nikki2777 said:

Reporting back that i have had them several times now, with no problem.  I dust off the bag with a napkin before i open it, just in case they used tongs to take it out of the oven, but in general it seems very safe.  Seriously - this is a huge win for me, and likely for others.  Thank you, Starbucks!

That's great!  I have heard good thing about it!  I will have to remember to

try it next week

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

I am thrilled to hear this news.  A nice option when away from home.  Now, if Starbucks could develop a chicken wrap like Costa's Coffee (England), we'd be set for lunch!   

Barmstrong Newbie

We had them this morning.   The  gluten free chipatta bread was delicious.   Both of my kids have celiac disease and  they really enjoyed them. They come in a sealed package that they heat them in.   Here is what  I found online about them:

Gluten-Free Bakery Items at Starbucks

Starbucks has added a gluten-free breakfast sandwich to its menu. The gluten-free smoked Canadian bacon sandwich features "cherrywood-smoked Canadian bacon, a peppered egg patty and reduced-fat white cheddar cheese on a gluten-free roll." According to the company, the sandwich is prepared in a certified gluten-free environment and comes in its own oven-safe parchment bag so that it can be cooked in stores' ovens alongside gluten-y breakfast offerings.

• 1 month later...
AristotlesCat Explorer

What I've heard sounds like the sandwich itself is pretty well made and adheres strictly to gluten free guidelines. But the question mark comes with the on-sight prep. There is a lot of stuff with gluten at a star bucks. I could see that presenting an issue. But this seems better than any other coffee or donut place has done. 

• 2 weeks later...
Christine1962 Newbie

They are awesome! But they are not available at Starbucks at some places--like hospitals. Pity!

gilligan Enthusiast

I've had them about six or seven times at several different Starbucks locations.  My sister has, also.  Neither one of us have had any signs of getting glutened. They are served in a parchment paper bag that should be handed to you straight from the oven sealed.  I've heard many internet complaints about the bags being dusty, too many ingredients, unhealthy, etc., but honestly, they are pretty darned tasty! And, when you are traveling and hungry, they are even tastier.  They sell out quickly at most Starbucks, but I've been able to purchase one as late at 6 p.m.  

• 2 weeks later...
plumbago Experienced

I ate one of these for the first time yesterday. Glad to know it was gluten-free, just wish it could have been tastier. It was kind of like cardboard to be honest, difficult to chew and not a lot of flavor. I wonder if it was not heated correctly.

Victoria1234 Experienced
10 minutes ago, plumbago said:

I ate one of these for the first time yesterday. Glad to know it was gluten-free, just wish it could have been tastier. It was kind of like cardboard to be honest, difficult to chew and not a lot of flavor. I wonder if it was not heated correctly.

Oh no! I've been saving a gift card to get one someday soon!

kareng Grand Master

I have heard people say they are pretty tasty.  I think they defrost a few everyday.  Might be that they defrosted too many and the one you got was a dry?

• 4 weeks later...
sddave Enthusiast

I've had them a few times and don't think I've been gluten-ed.   Not bad when you can find them.   They are in a sealed bag.

artistsl Enthusiast

I've had it twice and it was served to me different each time. The first time it was served warm in a sealed bag. The second time it was served warm, not in a sealed bag, but on their traditional paper. I should have refused the possible contaminated order, but I was hungry and in a hurry so I accepted it. My symptoms are a rash so it's not extreme intolerance, but I can say that I'm disappointed in their inconsistency. ?

Archived