• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Scott Adams

Revisit the gluten-free status of glucose syrup

Rate this topic

Celiac.com has glucose and glucose syrup on its safe list for celiacs. I would like to open this up for discussion, and possible change, and invite a closer look at this based on the best available evidence.

What new evidence/ research article do you have to make you think it isn't?  Just wondering what you saw to make you question it?

From Australia-

http://www.coeliac.org.au/uploads/65701/ufiles/Fact_sheets/Glucose_syrup_fact_sheet.pdf

1. The majority of wheat derived glucose (at least 90%) contains no detectable gluten.

2. Less than 10% of wheat derived glucose might contain up to 10ppm of gluten (extremely low

levels).

3. The properties of glucose syrup change when protein (e.g. gluten) levels higher than 15ppm are

present; it becomes unusable for food manufacturinG

Edited by kareng
Having trouble cutting and pasting today

I was confident that it is technically gluten-free, however, based on the new USA regulations, nothing that is made using gluten-containing ingredients like wheat, barley, rye, etc., can be called "gluten-free," so I am wondering if I should alter the safe list to reflect current law? In my opinion, safe means safe, even though the regulations don't reflect that.

Also, are there other items to add, or take off the list?

https://www.celiac.com/articles/181/1/Safe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Safe-Ingredients/Page1.html

10 minutes ago, admin said:

I was confident that it is technically gluten-free, however, based on the new USA regulations, nothing that is made using gluten-containing ingredients like wheat, barley, rye, etc., can be called "gluten-free," so I am wondering if I should alter the safe list to reflect current law? In my opinion, safe means safe, even though the regulations don't reflect that.

Also, are there other items to add, or take off the list?

https://www.celiac.com/articles/181/1/Safe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Safe-Ingredients/Page1.html

I see your point.  If it is safe for our purposes, I would leave it.  I would think, on the rare occasion it is made from wheat, it will list " glucose syrup ( wheat)".  Something like that.  We might need to note that?  Honestly, if I saw that,  word " wheat" , I would avoid the product.  I wouldn't even think about the fact that it is  safe.  But it might prove confusing on a product labelled gluten free.  

I dont have a lot a lot of time to really look at it this week.  I'll  try to give it a good going over next week.  

Edited by kareng

I think that your suggestion to re-evaluate the advice re wheat glucose syrup is very valid.  Whether or not, WGC contains enough gluten to cause an adverse reaction in a coeliac is dependent on the manufacturing process.  The key comment in the Australian article is 'most'.  So 10% (it could be much more) instances of WGC will cause an adverse reaction.  Your posts pointing this out are to be commended.  Many sites quote the Finnish study that found 'no reaction'. However this study was flawed as it only used one example of WGC and one that was supplied by the industry who, naturally, had a vested interest to ensure that the sample was truly gluten-free.  Resulting in a 'no reaction' result. Had the Finnish study bothered to obtain a wider variety of samples of WGC from different sources then the result would have been radically different.   Based on my wife's experiences, wheat glucose syrup is best avoided.    Just like that wretched Xanthan gum which also can cause an adverse reaction.