• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

RiceGuy

Betty Crocker gluten-free Products

Rate this topic

I contacted Betty Crocker about gluten-free products, and this is the response I got:

Dear Consumer:

Thank you for contacting General Mills regarding gluten in our products.

It is our goal to help our consumers determine whether or not they can include our products in their diet. To accurately accomplish this, we believe it is best to refer to the specific ingredients listed on each product package.

However, we do understand that ingredients can be confusing, so we want to assure you if the ingredient label does not list wheat, barley, rye, oats or gluten containing ingredients sourced from these grains, then the product would be gluten-free. Sources of gluten are listed on the label even if the source of gluten is part of another ingredient (such as flavoring or spice). Because ingredients may vary from one package to another due to product reformulation, you should use the product’s ingredient label to provide you with current and accurate information.

I'm less than thrilled by this, but it's a start I guess :rolleyes:

I contacted Betty Crocker about gluten-free products, and this is the response I got:

I'm less than thrilled by this, but it's a start I guess :rolleyes:

Why less then thrilled? Thye just told you thier products are all safe unless they say otherwise onthier lable? Thats a good thing!

I have to agree that is a good response, unlike Avon who told me they have no idea what is in their makeup etc.

Actually, this is a great response. They told you that they will never hide gluten behind ambiguous ingredients. If it is in the product, they will tell you clearly on the label. This is better than a list or an answer on the phone, because the label on the package you have refers to what you actually have. Lists can become out of date as formulas change, and the call center operator's information is no better.

There is a long list of companies who have this policy, and General Mills is just one of them. These companies are friendly to celiacs, and deserve our support, not our scorn.

Search the forum for a recent list, or email me and I will send it to you.

I can understand both sides. Yes, it is great that they acknowledge our ability to read labels and respect us enough to include accurate information. Kudos to them for treating us respectfully. But, importantly, they do not give any mention to cross-contamination.......I know, I know, almost always a risk, but there are companies that process lots of grain products that also, inadvertantly, have gluten-free facilites or gluten-free lines, like OceanSpray Cranraisins supposedly are processed on gluten-free lines as are Lays Staxx....would have been nice to know if they happened to make anything in a gluten-free facility/on a gluten-free line. I appreciate both perspectives.

Edited by bluelotus

This brand has been known to clearly identify gluten and I consider them a celiac friendly brand.

I too get the frustration, in an ideal world...all companies would have "lists" for us and gluten-free lines...but in the real world, it is great when a company will even list all gluten sources on the label. (Do you have the list of what those companies are? We have one here...)

I too think this is a great response. In fact last night I made myself some delicious chicken & cheese taquitos from Trader Joe's with Old El Paso Refried Beans (one of their brands) and some extra cheese melted on top. Yummy!!

I can understand both sides. Yes, it is great that they acknowledge our ability to read labels and respect us enough to include accurate information. Kudos to them for treating us respectfully. But, importantly, they do not give any mention to cross-contamination.......I know, I know, almost always a risk, but there are companies that process lots of grain products that also, inadvertantly, have gluten-free facilites or gluten-free lines, like OceanSpray Cranraisins supposedly are processed on gluten-free lines as are Lays Staxx....would have been nice to know if they happened to make anything in a gluten-free facility/on a gluten-free line. I appreciate both perspectives.

That's basically what I mean.

I agree it's not a "bad" response. But the thrilling part to me is when a company addresses gluten concerns on the label. At least some put something on the label like "made in a facility that also prcesses..." or "may contain..." as a warning when cross-contamination can occur. Not putting anything specific on the label, and just basically saying to read the label and trust it as accurate is when it looks no better than a company that doesn't know or care. If there is a change in policy and the company decides not to list gluten containing ingredients that might be usd in processing, how will we know unless they address it on the label? Must we conact them every thirty days to make sure?

Companies seem more interested in protecting themselves from being sued, so they always take a position which limits liability. Hardly any companies seem willing to accept full responsibility for their products.

I'm not totally disapointed, just not thrilled.

The way I see it is with the expection of specialty stuff EVERYTHING has cross-contimation issues, therefor its redundant to state that.

If they merely disclose all thier ingreditens and do not hide anything, then that is enough for me.

Yes, I'm a dreamer :D

as the song goes "I'm not the only one..." :)

I long for the day when the label just says "GLUTEN FREE." ;)

Actually, this is a great response. They told you that they will never hide gluten behind ambiguous ingredients. If it is in the product, they will tell you clearly on the label. This is better than a list or an answer on the phone, because the label on the package you have refers to what you actually have. Lists can become out of date as formulas change, and the call center operator's information is no better.

There is a long list of companies who have this policy, and General Mills is just one of them. These companies are friendly to celiacs, and deserve our support, not our scorn.

Search the forum for a recent list, or email me and I will send it to you.

I would love to have the list. Please email to me at probass10@comcast.net. Thanks

UTZ brand potato chips list on their snacks "This is a Gluten Free Food" I think that is wonderful. It also allows us to enjoy some flavors that we may have been missing, sour cream and onion, BBQ, or Sour Cream and cheddar.

Thanks Blue--I didn't know that about UTZ snacks. I always kind of stick with the Lay's. I will give them a closer look the next time I go shopping!

JerseyAngel-

I almost cried in the grocery store when I saw that. I found out I had Celiac Disease last September. I was never a big snacker before, but once I couldn't have it I craved it. I am really happy their company is going out of the way to make sure we can feel safe eating their product. I am hoping more brands start to label like that now.

I contacted Betty Crocker about gluten-free products...

My friend from grad school just told me that they are going to be putting gluten-free cookie and brownie mixes in the regular grocery stores!!! Here's the link: http://killthegluten.blogspot.com/2009_03_01_archive.html

Apparently we have to wait until June, which is the only bummer, but I'm really excited! :)

My friend from grad school just told me that they are going to be putting gluten-free cookie and brownie mixes in the regular grocery stores!!! Here's the link: http://killthegluten.blogspot.com/2009_03_01_archive.html

Apparently we have to wait until June, which is the only bummer, but I'm really excited! :)

wow thats exciting news! I love and miss betty crocker products.