Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
SteveB

Gluten in my compost....

Rate this topic

For years, we have composted most everything except meat products. All things like flour, bread with wheat, rolls, etc...., have been going in that compost bin. That compost has been going in the garden where we grow the vegetables that we eat.

Should I be worried about the veggies I'm growing in that compost containing gluten?

I'm a 58 yr old male just being diagnosed with Celiac disease!! I didn't start having ANY symptoms until the 3rd week in October 2016 when my stomach started feeling kinda funny and it just continued and escalated from there.

I had a colonoscopy done in February 2017 and ever since then, my symptoms have increased: more gas, more cramping, more of feeling full/pressure.

I hope our garden isn't contaminated with gluten!

Thanks,

Steve in Central Vermont

Edited by SteveB
add text.

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum! :)

I don't think you need to worry about gluten from your compost.  Even if it was not destroyed in the composting process, it would just be in the soil, not the veggies.   You can always rinse the veggies off if you are concerned.  Or get a pond and feed the fish bread from now on! :)

Edited by GFinDC

1 hour ago, GFinDC said:

You can always rinse the veggies off if you are concerned.  Or get a pond and feed the fish bread from now on! :)

Knowing my luck, the fish would get Celiac disease and I'd have to stop eating them too!!! lolol

Thanks.......

• Upvote 1

I compost.  I never add any bread products (even gluten-free) to my bin.  Why?  Critters.  Yep, rats, raccoons, oppossums.....

You can not get glutened from it, unless you eat or swallow it.  Just wash your veggies.