Celiac Disease FAQ | This site uses cookies GDPR notice. Read more... ×
tarab87

my 7 year old going for biopsies Monday

Rate this topic

hi all my 7 year olds blood test came back in February as possible celiac her blood test results were anti endomysial antibodies are positive and ttg elevated to 91. she has been poorly a very long time animic for years borderlin diabetic. My question is she is going for a bowel/small intestines biopsy on Monday this is all new to me and just wondering what to expect with her only been 7 and if there is damage done can they see on the camera on the day? and if it's not celiac what could get blood test mean... thanks for and replies 

Welcome!  

It looks like your daughter is on her way to a celiac diagnosis.  Everyone is different, but I think you will have to wait until the biopsies come back from the Pathologist.  My endoscopy looked fine visually, yet my biopsies revealed intestinal damage (the villi are microscopic!)  The important thing at this point is that she must still be eating gluten daily for the endoscopy.  Once you get a diagnosis (sometimes labs lose stuff), then she can go gluten free.  Both an elevated TTG and EMA leans strongly to a celiac diagnosis and not something else.

I would advise reading some books at your local library about celiac disease and read about it online too.  Read through the forum postings as they contain great tips.  We are here to help you with your questions.