Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome Tanya!  

I know you must be suffering so!  Do you know if this is a celiac rash?  I do not have DH, but many of our members do.  Here is more information and possible treatment:

https://celiac.org/celiac-disease/understanding-celiac-disease-2/dermatitis-herpetiformis/

https://www.verywell.com/dapsone-short-term-relief-562992

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Tanya you are clearly suffering but you told us nothing really. Have you been dx'd with celiac disease? Or have you been dx'd with dermatitis herpetiformis? If so, are you eating gluten free? For how long have you been eating gluten free?

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

Does the rash get worse when exposed to sunlight?  It looks like it is on your neck, hands, forearms, shins and feet.  Does the rash occur anywhere else? Or just to areas exposed to sunshine?

I had Pellagra, a vitamin deficiency disease caused by a lack of Niacin, B3.  I had a similar rash on exposed areas that worsened when I was outside in the sun.  The areas that had the rash also became pigmented darker, especially my arms and hands.  This is called the gauntlet of pellagra.  The rash around the neck is called Casal's necklace.  I was tried lotions, ointment, and creams but nothing helped.  If it is Pellagra,  (check with your doctor first) you'll need to take supplementary Niacin (nicotinamide), tryptophan, and a good B Complex vitamin.  

Other symptoms of Pellagra (the four D's of Pellagra) dermatitis, diarrhea, dementia and death.  Many doctors are not familiar with Pellagra and don't recognize the symptoms. Often Pellagra is associated with alcoholism because that causes malabsorption similar to Celiac Disease.  

I began to experience relief from the itching within a few days of starting niacin supplements.

Hope this helps.

Join eNewsletter