Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×

Rate this topic

Hi guys! So yesterday was my endoscopy and today I'm starting my gluten free diet. I haven't gotten the official diagnosis yet but I figure it's for the better in general to start eating fresh non processed food which are naturally gluten free. I am wondering how long after starting your gluten free diets did you start to feel better? I'm feeling very sick today but I assume that's from the meds from my endoscopy leaving my body. Thanks!

Glad your endoscopy is over.  Time to heal?  Hard to say.  Those with celiac disease can take weeks, months or years to recover depending on damage.  Neurological issues seem to take the longest to resolve.  It also takes time to really get the gluten free diet down.  Be sure to read the Newbie 101 tips located (pinned) at the top of the "Coping" section of the forum.

You will feel better soon!  

On 4/1/2017 at 11:53 PM, cyclinglady said:

Glad your endoscopy is over.  Time to heal?  Hard to say.  Those with celiac disease can take weeks, months or years to recover depending on damage.  Neurological issues seem to take the longest to resolve.  It also takes time to really get the gluten free diet down.  Be sure to read the Newbie 101 tips located (pinned) at the top of the "Coping" section of the forum.

You will feel better soon!  

Did you happen to experience a really bad headache the first couple days not eating gluten. I'd assume that cutting out all the gluten and processed stuff from my diet is probably causing these headaches. 

People have reported headaches and "withdrawal" symptoms.  I did not experience it, but with celiac disease, everyone's symptoms are often different.  Stay hydrated and rest as much as possible.