Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×

Rate this topic

Hi there,

i have recently had blood done and the results were:

TTG Iga Ab:94.7 u/ml

deaminated gliadin peptide: 39.8 u/ml

iga: 1.6g/l

endomysial antibodies: positive A

can anyone tell me the likeliness that  if have celiac disease? I'm terrified for an endo, surely bloods are enough!

Those do look like positive tests but can't tell for sure without the lab ranges. The endo is really easy to go through in most cases. You could try talking to your GI and seeing if he would diagnse based on the antibodies going down and symptom relief on the diet. Most will want you to have the endo though. Do make sure that you keep eating gluten until all celiac related testing is finished.

Welcome Caitlin :)

did your report have ranges listed on it? Post them if it did as different labs have different formats.

if your concerned about the endo you could have anaesthetic, most who do this say it's not a problem :)

Try not to worry, easier said than done I know, but you are on a positive path, getting answers and if it's celiac you have a world of healing to come. 

Best of luck

15 hours ago, Caitlinwats said:

Hi there,

i have recently had blood done and the results were:

TTG Iga Ab:94.7 u/ml

deaminated gliadin peptide: 39.8 u/ml

iga: 1.6g/l

endomysial antibodies: positive A

can anyone tell me the likeliness that  if have celiac disease? I'm terrified for an endo, surely bloods are enough!

When the tTg and EMA (Endomysial) are positive, the likelihood of it being Celiac is about 99%.  They never say 100% because doctors will never do that unless they have a picture of your damaged small intestine in their hands.  :rolleyes:  No other disease will cause a positive on an EMA...it is specific to Celiac.  You have blood work that looked like mine and I was too sick to undergo an endo...which I probably would have refused anyway. I doubt they would have used anesthesia on me because my weight was really, really low and I was sick. Not gonna happen!

Do you have "in your face" symptoms? I would ask if after following a strict gluten-free diet for awhile, they can re-test your antibodies and if they go down, diagnose you based on that.  I have never, ever met a doctor who doubted my diagnosis after seeing my blood results and subsequent testing.  You could also ask for gene testing, which is not diagnostic but will tell you if you have the genetics to trigger for Celiac.  With these numbers you already have, I bet you would.