Jump to content
Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
  • Sign Up
1 1
Washingtonmama

We might be glutening ourselves with our purses!

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

 I am newly diagnosed but learning fast. I was cleaning out my purse and noticed crumbs in the bottom of my purse. How many times a day do we reach in there, use a pen from our purse etc., then touch our face or mouth? Or maybe I'm just more of a slob than the average woman lol Just thought I'd mention it. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 4/3/2017 at 8:55 PM, Washingtonmama said:

 I am newly diagnosed but learning fast. I was cleaning out my purse and noticed crumbs in the bottom of my purse. How many times a day do we reach in there, use a pen from our purse etc., then touch our face or mouth? Or maybe I'm just more of a slob than the average woman lol Just thought I'd mention it. 

On 4/3/2017 at 8:55 PM, Washingtonmama said:

 I am newly diagnosed but learning fast. I was cleaning out my purse and noticed crumbs in the bottom of my purse. How many times a day do we reach in there, use a pen from our purse etc., then touch our face or mouth? Or maybe I'm just more of a slob than the average woman lol Just thought I'd mention it. 

I am going to answer this because I do not want you to be overly concerned about things that will NOT be a threat.  :)  You have to ingest crumbs down into your gut for a reaction to occur and yes, your gut begins at your mouth.  But the likelihood of you ingesting crumbs from your purse from touching your face or mouth is pretty infinitesimal.  Clean out your purse and relax!  Or better yet.....buy a new one!  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vacuum the crumbs out - Not sure how you have crumbs in there, not sure I want to know......  But please don't become one of those paranoid people that thinks that being in public next to someone will gluten you! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, kareng said:

Vacuum the crumbs out - Not sure how you have crumbs in there, not sure I want to know......  But please don't become one of those paranoid people that thinks that being in public next to someone will gluten you! :D

But it's more fun to buy a new one......:P

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Gemini said:

But it's more fun to buy a new one......:P

Of course!  And then don't put open food in the new one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kareng said:

Of course!  And then don't put open food in the new one!

I would say that is good advice....unless the food is gluten free.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kareng said:

Vacuum the crumbs out - Not sure how you have crumbs in there, not sure I want to know......  But please don't become one of those paranoid people that thinks that being in public next to someone will gluten you! :D

 

I have to carry around snacks for my son with low blood sugar. If there isn't a trashcan near by, I jut have him throw the wrapper back into my purse. Hence the tiny crumbs. I sometimes carry a snack bar in my purse for me too, same reason. I was just diagnosed a few days ago, and I thought we were supposed to avoid little crumbs, like if I rummaged around in my purse then ate my snack bar it would be a problem. I'm glad I don't need to be so paranoid. Its so hard to learn all of this, we new people are drowning in information! And yes, I clean out my purse, and I might need to just carry a little trash bag with me. I have a grandma purse, everything you could ever need is in there LOL And I think this is a perfect excuse to go buy a new purse hehehe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a grandma purse lolz - i have one, too, although i call it my 'let's make a deal' purse <bc i'm also old enough to remember that show :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, notme! said:

a grandma purse lolz - i have one, too, although i call it my 'let's make a deal' purse <bc i'm also old enough to remember that show :D

Monte Hall wants to know if you want Door #1, Door #2 or Door #3?   :P

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2017 at 4:27 PM, Gemini said:

Monte Hall wants to know if you want Door #1, Door #2 or Door #3?   :P

doesn't matter - i always get the old guy riding the donkey.....  :rolleyes::D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just stop carrying one.  if the son is much over say, 8, he is old enough to own his own issue.  if you really need to, get a new one with external pockets for any potential problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, notme! said:

doesn't matter - i always get the old guy riding the donkey.....  :rolleyes::D

LOL!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, frieze said:

just stop carrying one.  if the son is much over say, 8, he is old enough to own his own issue.  if you really need to, get a new one with external pockets for any potential problem. 

 

The external pockets are a great idea. That and getting him gluten free snacks solves the whole problem. I agree with kids knowing how to take care of their own issues. He has Autism, and we are still working on having him pay attention when we are out as he tends to just mosey along, not paying attention or walk into the street. He would wander off when he was little if we didn't watch him like a hawk. So big improvement. He will remember his own snack one-day I'm sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am still carrying backpack-like purse since my daughter was a baby.  I like that my hands are free and I carry a bunch of stuff, including gluten-free snacks.  I too, sometimes have to drop a used gluten-free cereal bar into my pack.  Most are washable except for my fancier leather ones.  I am a trash can, chauffeur, first aid responder, snack mom, germie gel or lotion dispenser, banker, and secretary!  The only thing I do not have to lug around is a toddler!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1

×