Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
Mermaid's Mom

Canadian Celiacs!! Did you know...

Rate this topic

That you can write off a portion of your Gluten Free food as a medical expense?   You need a diagnosis that you are unable to eat gluten and you need to keep all your receipts.  Additionally you can only write off the DIFFERENCE of the gluten-free food vs reg food.  So if a loaf of bread is $1 and you require a $5 gluten-free loaf you can write off the $4.  Additionally in the past we have not been able to write off any supplements that my daughter has taken but I just learned that if you are Celiac you can write off your B12.  Still looking into other deductions.  Will post if I find any more and please add any that you are aware of!

My G.I Doctor mentioned this to me. This is my first year of diagnoses so I am keeping track of my expenses and will be claiming these items on my next year's return. Great to know about the B12 supplements. Celiac disease has made me severely deficient in B12, D and Iron. Wondering if these supplements can be written off as well? 

NOTE there is a app for your phone called HelloReceipts where you can take a picture of them and jot tags on them. And enter all the receipt info. I use it to keep track of my spending on gluten-free products and foods. >.> Honestly a tad depressing when I realize I spend about 400-600usd in food/supplements for one person a month

On 4/6/2017 at 11:03 AM, Mermaid's Mom said:

That you can write off a portion of your Gluten Free food as a medical expense?   You need a diagnosis that you are unable to eat gluten and you need to keep all your receipts.  Additionally you can only write off the DIFFERENCE of the gluten-free food vs reg food.  So if a loaf of bread is $1 and you require a $5 gluten-free loaf you can write off the $4.  Additionally in the past we have not been able to write off any supplements that my daughter has taken but I just learned that if you are Celiac you can write off your B12.  Still looking into other deductions.  Will post if I find any more and please add any that you are aware of!

Do Canadians have to have a threshold amount before they can start deducting gluten-free food?  Here in the States you have to have a minimum of 10% of your yearly adjusted gross income before you can even start to deduct anything.  It's not popular, as you can well imagine.  :angry:

5 hours ago, Gemini said:

Do Canadians have to have a threshold amount before they can start deducting gluten-free food?  Here in the States you have to have a minimum of 10% of your yearly adjusted gross income before you can even start to deduct anything.  It's not popular, as you can well imagine.  :angry:

No minimum or requirements to meet. 

1 hour ago, Mermaid's Mom said:

No minimum or requirements to meet. 

Sweet!  :)