This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How do you know when you're glutenated ?

KathleenH

KathleenH Enthusiast

Hey guys I know i've asked like 1000 questions and I probably getting annoying! So sorry!! But this is a question I cant seem to find the answer to. How do you know if you have been cross contaminated? Since I've only been gluten free for about a week I don't think I know what it feels like to be well yet so it would be hard to tell this early on right? How do you know if you just have an occasional stomachache/headache or you are eating something that was contaminated? I feel like this is going to be really hard to tell for me. For example I tried a new drink that "golden milk" for inflammation... I made sure everything was gluten free but I got a really bad stomachache after. I'm not sure if the new recipe just didn't agree with me or maybe the cup/pan/spoon I used was contaminated? I guess I'm going to be more diligent with actually cleaning the utensils and stuff I use before hand so I can tell the difference. 

Also while I'm at it I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on leaky gut? I have read books/articles about this before I even knew I might have celiac disease and they say that if you have celiac you most definitely had a leaky gut first. How do you guys treat your leaky gut? Do you not worry about it? Did you talk to a doctor? 

Again thank you all for being so helpful and I'm sorry if I'm being annoying with all the questions I'm posting. 

Kathleen :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

You may or not be able to tell if you have been glutened.  Some celiacs are silent and sometimes your symptoms change.  You will soon figure it out.

Was that Golden milk certified gluten free?  I think it is easier for newbies to just start with certified foods for piece of mind.  Also Whole Foods are best.  We all have intolerances to various foods.  Too many ingredients and you do not know what is causing your symptoms.  I can not tolerate garlic.  Gee, everyone says it is the perfect health food!  But not  for me.  Xanthan Gum.  It is added to all kinds of processed gluten-free foods.  My husband tolerates it, but not me.  I still get sick from it.  (I bake with other gums?) who knows what you might have reacted to in that "milk".  

There is no fast cure.  Time will heal you, along with a clean diet.

Leaky gut is real.  Research zonulin.   Watch this video from Dr. Fasano, a leading celiac disease researching affiliated with Harvard and Mass General:

KathleenH Enthusiast
6 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

You may or not be able to tell if you have been glutened.  Some celiacs are silent and sometimes your symptoms change.  You will soon figure it out.

Was that Golden milk certified gluten free?  I think it is easier for newbies to just start with certified foods for piece of mind.  Also Whole Foods are best.  We all have intolerances to various foods.  Too many ingredients and you do not know what is causing your symptoms.  I can not tolerate garlic.  Gee, everyone says it is the perfect health food!  But not  for me.  Xanthan Gum.  It is added to all kinds of processed gluten-free foods.  My husband tolerates it, but not me.  I still get sick from it.  (I bake with other gums?) who knows what you might have reacted to in that "milk".  

There is no fast cure.  Time will heal you, along with a clean diet.

Leaky gut is real.  Research zonulin.   Watch this video from Dr. Fasano, a leading celiac disease researching affiliated with Harvard and Mass General:

Hm I don't know for sure but I did make it from scratch. I'm gonna five it another try but if it keeps upsetting my stomach I'll just assume its not for me. Thanks for the video I'll be sure to watch it. 

RebekahLynn Newbie

Tumeric (curcumin) can be hard on the stomach. I would wonder if it was that.

KathleenH Enthusiast

Also wondering if you can be cross contaminated if you share a straw with someone who ate something with gluten in it? Its pretty frustrating... I thought i was doing good but then I shared a drink with a straw after they had been drinking beer :(

KathleenH Enthusiast
16 hours ago, RebekahLynn said:

Tumeric (curcumin) can be hard on the stomach. I would wonder if it was that.

Hmm yaa maybe that was it

cyclinglady Grand Master
21 hours ago, KathleenH said:

Also wondering if you can be cross contaminated if you share a straw with someone who ate something with gluten in it? Its pretty frustrating... I thought i was doing good but then I shared a drink with a straw after they had been drinking beer :(

Yep.  I would say yes.  You can get glutened by kissing, being slobbered on by an adorable baby, dipping a spoon from a pasta pot into a gluten-free pasta pot, swallowing airborne gluten-containing flour while baking, grilling chicken on a grill that has had gluten on it (think burger buns), etc.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Cross contamination....I swear so bloody frustrating, especially when you have no clue what made you sick and you spend a week like randomly getting sick then find it. Or it might end up being  some thing else completely randoms and at time not gluten but something else your intolerant to........Damn what I would not give for a star trek styled tricorder lol

I find I can normally narrow down if gluten or something else within 72 hours of it happening because gluten for me causes nerve and neurological issues. I find a bit more fog and depression, along with I end up burning myself cooking  a LOT more as the mix of daze and numbness makes it where I do not notice the heat and am slower to react. Note this is just the CC issues.   Straight gluten in a meal.....floors me literally I lose comeplete motor control and end up violently puking on the floor unable to move with gut wrenching pains. Followed by either D or C for the next day or so and numbness and fog that last a week or more.

Jmg Mentor

I don't, at least not always. I'm pretty careful so for a long time now any issues I've had have been with possible contamination rather than a large ingestion of gluten. There's no flashing light or app notification, just odd symptoms that only later I can perhaps tentatively connect to cross contamination. 

When I ate a gluten containing meal by mistake it was easier to tell, there was a massive rash across my chest, I felt brain fog depression etc. Later I got back ache and some joint pain as well as the return of twitching nerves under eye. 

At Christmas time I felt id probably had some cross contamaintion, probably from the use of shared cookware. A few days later I had another bout of optic neuritis which I'd not had for quite some time. 

To be honest I spend more time trying to prevent it happening then worrying about it once it has, if I can't trace it to one meal choice or establishment I try to put it behind me quickly and focus on recovering and staying we,l. The alternative is spending days on end as Sherlock Holmes in the case of the mystery glutening, a role I've played more than enough already!

Archived