This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

How About Chicago?

debi4956

canary46 Newbie
I am a newly diagnosed celiac from Naperville. Just looking for others in this area. I'm 23 years old.

Hi, I don't know if I'll ever find this forum again, but....

I live in the north suburbs of Chicago. There's a good size gluten-free-only store (that moved from Buffalo Grove) in Northbrook, on the southeast corner of Dundee & Waukegan Rd. It's open every day but Wednesday. I don't think it has a useful website anymore (ie, you can't order on line). But the woman who runs it is nice & helpful & happy to recommend good products, and willing to entertain requests for new products. And how nice not to have to read ingredient labels!

The Sunset Food stores in this area carry many gluten-free foods, espec. the store in Northbrook. As I'm sure you know, Trader Joe's & Whole Foods carry some gluten-free foods (the newer & larger WF carry quite a variety of some gluten-free products).

Our local Jewel & Dominick's carry many gluten-free foods, often in the 'organic' or 'intl' sections.

For southern Wisconsin people, there's a large gluten-free-only store just south of Milwaukee off I-94.

• 3 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Idiote Savante Goddess Rookie

The Wild Oats grocery stores (Hinsdale, Evanston) are very gluten-free proactive and hold seminars and classes and mark all their gluten-free products well. I don't know if the coming merger with Whole Foods will affect their current stance.

As for restaurants, it's pricey, but ABFAB -- The Gage on Michigan Ave just north of Monroe. An Irish gastropub and they know their stuff.

little-c Contributor
Hello All,

There is a group in Chicago... its called the MetroCeliacs... We try to meet once a month with a cooking class, a potluck or easy meals, a speaker... and more... and then we also plan a Supper Club outing at Chicago restaurants once a month.

I am one of the two founders of the group. It has been a busy summer for myself as well as the other founder Jen. We are looking to have an event-filled Fall... Feel free to join us.

If you would like to see more about our group, check out our blog

Open Original Shared Link

And if you are interested in knowing more and getting on our evite list, please email Tanya and Jen at

MetroCeliacs@yahoo.com.

Hope you find some one near you! Have a great day!

Tanya

MetroCeliacs

Chicago

little-c Contributor
Hello All,

There is a group in Chicago... its called the MetroCeliacs... We try to meet once a month with a cooking class, a potluck or easy meals, a speaker... and more... and then we also plan a Supper Club outing at Chicago restaurants once a month.

I am one of the two founders of the group. It has been a busy summer for myself as well as the other founder Jen. We are looking to have an event-filled Fall... Feel free to join us.

If you would like to see more about our group, check out our blog

Open Original Shared Link

And if you are interested in knowing more and getting on our evite list, please email Tanya and Jen at

MetroCeliacs@yahoo.com.

Hope you find some one near you! Have a great day!

Tanya

MetroCeliacs

Chicago

Hello there:

I'm from Milwaukee and get to Chicago occasionally. I will watch your website for restaurant reviews before my next trip. I was there last month and ate at Jack's American Blend on Halstad. I called ahead to discuss their gluten-free options and Connie (co-owner) was so helpful. The meal was perfect and delicious. Everyone, including the wait staff, was extremely accommodating. Your group should consider going there on an outing. It's a fun and celiac-friendly place with great food and an extensive martini menu.

I highly recommend it.

little_c

• 2 weeks later...
Motorboater Explorer
Hi Denice,

I live in Lisle and the Whole Foods is in Wheaton..Sorry!

Hi, I live in LaGrange and I got a woman's name, email address that runs a support group in Brookfiled, they meet the 3rd Wed. of the month at the library.

Pam :)

Archived