Jump to content
Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
  • Sign Up
4 4
EasterLily

Glutened myself :(

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Pretty sure I just glutened myself. Twice!! First let me start off by saying my nausea has finally started letting up. (Clapping excitingly) The first time I felt a problem was last night. About a half hour after dinner. I became more bloated than I already am and I felt a lot of pressure. An hour after dinner I started feeling pressure in my chest and it seemed like I had to take a deep breath just to catch my breath. It let up a bit by bedtime, but I wasn't able to sleep at all last night. I've struggled with insomnia for the past 20 years so I didn't think anything of it until my Trazadone didn't work. Which has never happened. I got a few hours of sleep and when I woke up I had really sharp pains in my stomach and had to rush to the bathroom. It was an unusual amount. I had breakfast today and the same reaction as last night and more sharp pains and diarrhea plus nausea. The common denominator was store brand cooking spray. I used it on the pan I cooked the chicken on and I used it in another pan this morning when I made my eggs. Both pans and utensils were gluten free. I didn't see anything ominous in the ingredients and my gluten-free app doesn't recognize most store brands, so yes, I was playing Russian Roulette. I am trying not to be mad at myself. It was an accident and there is a learning curve. However, I am still irritated because the nausea is going away and I was actually going to leave the house today for the first time in 2 weeks. My son get's married this Saturday and I am desperate to feel better so I can enjoy myself and last the night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry you are feeling so awful.  I could be wrong but I doubt it was the cooking spray that got you. There are some that are made just for baking but they have wheat clearly listed. You are really new to the diet and it does take some time to heal. things can be very up and down for a bit at first. Please be aware that our reactions can be delayed so it isn't always the last thing we ate that glutens us. 

Congradulations on the up coming wedding.  You may want to eat very simple this week. Go with stuff that is pretty bland and for sure gluten free. Go with well cooked fruits and veggies so they are easier to digest. Eat lightly the day before and day of the wedding and maybe keep some Immodium tablets and some liquid Pepto Bismal on hand in case you need them.  I hope you are feeling good for the wedding day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might have been something else, some issues with chicken I hear recently, or could have been the spray, and even perhaps something random you over looked like gluten residue on a knob or handle your grabbing while cooking then touching your food (did this in a shared kitchen years ago), or a spice/condiment. 

I got myself with a minor CC issue last month, been at the diet 3+ years, so even us veterans mess up.

BTW when I have a event coming up I start eating more bland whole meals without using cooking ware muchlike eggs in a microwave omelette maker with shredded veggies. And prepacked bars, seeds, nuts, shakes all gluten-free certified as to not risk the big day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry you got hit.  Pepto Bismol may help and peppermint tea can help with getting out gas.  Aspirin and wine don't hurt  either.

Some cooking sprays do have flour in them.  Why not skip them altogether and use coconut oil  or butter instead?  they are much healthier alternatives.

We all learn as we go. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GFinDC said:

Sorry you got hit.  Pepto Bismol may help and peppermint tea can help with getting out gas.  Aspirin and wine don't hurt  either.

Some cooking sprays do have flour in them.  Why not skip them altogether and use coconut oil  or butter instead?  they are much healthier alternatives.

We all learn as we go. :)

 

I never thought of coconut oil which I have in my cabinet and use for baking. I will definitely try that next time. Butter I will have to skip because it has never agreed with me. Thanks for the advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

Might have been something else, some issues with chicken I hear recently, or could have been the spray, and even perhaps something random you over looked like gluten residue on a knob or handle your grabbing while cooking then touching your food (did this in a shared kitchen years ago), or a spice/condiment. 

I got myself with a minor CC issue last month, been at the diet 3+ years, so even us veterans mess up.

BTW when I have a event coming up I start eating more bland whole meals without using cooking ware muchlike eggs in a microwave omelette maker with shredded veggies. And prepacked bars, seeds, nuts, shakes all gluten-free certified as to not risk the big day. 

I must be more careful in the kitchen. My kitchen is not 100% gluten free because my husband hasn't gone 100% gluten free. Anything I make him will be, but when he makes himself something - almost ALWAYS processed foods - I never think to get in there after him and scrub, scrub, scrub. I will from now on. Oddly, I wasn't thinking and made leftovers with that chicken for dinner tonight. I had taken a few bites before coming to my senses and an hour later I had the same symptoms as last night. Painful bloating and nausea and tightness in the chest and throat. It gets frustrating being a gluten detective. I plan on taking my own food to the wedding reception and I was going to bring plenty of cashews and peanuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies. There is definitely a learning curve here. I have noticed improvements since starting the diet, but I was hoping to be further along since my entire life is on hold right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EasterLily said:

I must be more careful in the kitchen. My kitchen is not 100% gluten free because my husband hasn't gone 100% gluten free. Anything I make him will be, but when he makes himself something - almost ALWAYS processed foods - I never think to get in there after him and scrub, scrub, scrub. I will from now on. Oddly, I wasn't thinking and made leftovers with that chicken for dinner tonight. I had taken a few bites before coming to my senses and an hour later I had the same symptoms as last night. Painful bloating and nausea and tightness in the chest and throat. It gets frustrating being a gluten detective. I plan on taking my own food to the wedding reception and I was going to bring plenty of cashews and peanuts.

Shared kitchen, ugg I always had to lay out freezer paper for my work surface, wear gloves, I would open all my drawers, fridge, and turn the water on before starting then start cooking lol. I was paranoid even had my own set of cookware I had to keep stored on top of the fridge so it would not get contaminated. -_- still recall some stupid mistakes I made with shared condiments, no always reading labels, etc...... you will look back at this in hind sight later and laugh a bit. Might be worth getting everyone in the house to change over. I keep gluten-free certified processed foods for guest myself, amazingly everything you can think of has a processed gluten-free version even gluten-free version of a hot pocket like sandwich, instant meal bowls, burritos etc. Just stock the gluten-free versions so they do not bring in the poison. Tell them it is a change in brands >.>

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/117090-gluten-free-food-alternatives-list/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been gluten-free for over 8 years, and when I'm tired or busy I still mess up. I put 2 and 2 together when the next morning I can't go to the bathroom! Unless I am at work (I guess I'm pretty ditzy)  I don't even notice the brain fog, lol! So don't beat yourself up, and just learn from it and move on. Hugs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
4 4

×