Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
3 3
PA4637

Strange taste?

Rate this topic

Just curious if a metallic/strange taste in the mouth when eating gluten foods in a symptom of celiac.   My child has the genetic markers for celiac and positive on one blood test but not a confirmed diagnosis.  Recently she stopped eating some gluten foods because she said they taste funny to her - give her a metallic / bad taste in mouth.  Just curious if this a symptom anyone else has had.

• Upvote 1

I get that but just with barley. Is she waiting on a scope? If so keep her on gluten. If she is done with celiac related testing then get her on the diet. You only need one positive blood test to be celiac.

I have never heard of this but funny thing about children and humans, sometimes we tend to develop a defense mechanism to foods where we find them distasteful if they are bad for us or cause a negative body reaction. It could be her body telling her not to eat it cause it is hurting her. It could also be a initial immune response in the mouth, or there are instances of people especially kids developing sensory issues and diseases in reaction to gluten.  In some cases sensory issues are just related to the malabsorption of vitamins and nutrient that you body uses caused by damaged intestines. Common ones are  B-vitamins, Iron, D, E, copper, folate, magnesium, niacin, riboflavin, and/or zinc I would see about having these checked as well.  I would hurry up and get the confirmed diagnosis for the disease while she is still eating gluten as you have to be consuming it for the test. A endoscope for the final confirmation require you to be eating gluten daily for 2 weeks not much just a cracker or a slice of bread. After this you can get her on a gluten free diet.

Will share some helpful links,

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/117090-gluten-free-food-alternatives-list/

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/116482-supplement-and-foods-you-take/

And a fun and random list of celiac symptoms

http://www.montana.edu/mountainsandminds/2012/fall/celiac.php

Metallic taste in the mouth is a symptom of reflux. Any reaction to gluten can be a symptom of celiac or gluten intolerance. A full celiac blood test can help you see if celiac is a problem. I believe the full test includes TTG IGA and IGG, DGP IGA and IGG, IGA, EMA. She has to be eating gluten every day for many weeks for the test to be accurate. A positive on any one test result should lead to an endoscopy to confirm celiac. Once testing is done it never hurts to try not to eat foods that cause symptoms.

I have celiac and have that metallic taste. Peppermint is known to cause reflux and I've been eating a heckuvalot since December. Needless to say I've dropped the peppermint ice cream. Should get better in a month.

Not a doc. Good luck.

I just had one positive on the celiac panel (DGP IgA), yet I had moderate to severe intestinal damage.  Consider getting a GI consult.  An endoscopy may be in order and usually confirms a diagnosis.  

I wish your child well!  

Thank you all for the feedback!  No she is not waiting on a scope. I really don't want to put her through that as a child unless necessary.

She never had the DGP or EMA done.  I will ask the dr about having those done just to see if any other tests show positive (only one was IGG) as well as vitamin deficiencies.  She has low IGA so I know the IGA tests will probably come back negative.

On 4/13/2017 at 8:22 AM, PA4637 said:

Just curious if a metallic/strange taste in the mouth when eating gluten foods in a symptom of celiac.   My child has the genetic markers for celiac and positive on one blood test but not a confirmed diagnosis.  Recently she stopped eating some gluten foods because she said they taste funny to her - give her a metallic / bad taste in mouth.  Just curious if this a symptom anyone else has had.

I have always had a weird taste in my mouth after eating gluten foods for as long as I can remember. Even now, if I eat something that I haven't checked the ingredients on, I'll know because of the weird aftertaste.