Celiac Disease FAQ | This site uses cookies GDPR notice. Read more... ×
2 2
SadBlueDot

Ever since I got sick a few months back

Rate this topic

Ever since I got real sick a few months back and finally got diagnosis with celiac I haven't been able to eat anything without pain. 

The pain varries, I cooked my food tonight I made a sweet and sour chicken recipe I found online and I've made it for the passed few months, I'm now starting to realize that every time I eat this dish my stomach feels like it's been punched a thousand times.

Same feeling I had when I eat onions, any kind of onions I used to be able to eat onions can't anymore, I can't drink milk or soy, and it's getting expensive to buy all this gluten free stuck which I'm not even sure is with the whole Cherrio thing my doctor told me that even though it said gluten free that it was cross with some kind of gluten product I don't know.

I don't know why my stomach gets sore after eating this, I cut out the soy and I cutout the garlic, I don't use any seasoning maybe it's the apple cider vinegar and the pineapple may be too much, whatever the case is I'm never eating this again.
This is the r recipe I used http://mygluten-freekitchen.com/sweet-and-sour-chicken-gluten-free/ (sorry if we're not allowed to share links.) 

I also can drink coke out a can but not out a bottle if I drink any soda out a bottle it makes my stomach hurt as if I can drink coke out a can and i'm fine. I  also can't put sugar in my tea as it makes my stomach cramp up. I've cutout pork, and hamburger meat, I only eat chicken right now thinking about cutting that out too. I don't eat sea food, I used to throw it up everytime I ate it when I was young so I'm kind of turned off by it now. 

I'm just tired really, of hurting every day I suspect I have IBS, I've been to about 5 different docs all say I'm fine ask if I'm eating any gluten. I make sure I'm not there only two resturants where I live that have gluten free things and when I eat out I go there and make sure to talk to the person preparing it.  Make sure they aren't blending anything.

Ever since I got so sick a few months back and had to go to the ER it has scared me, I've been so cautious of what I eat now, everyday I read every little thing and get almost triggered when I see someone eating a sandwich (ha.)  

I don't know it's like getting sick and cutting out gluten has messed up my body, i was sick before but now it's just all the time. 

I think it's IBS because of the gas the bloating and the constpation but the doctors just say it's GERD. I don't know guys...thanks if you read all of that I know I'm rambling  and have a lot of typos just looking for someone to relate to.

If sugars are causing you bloating also it could be a issues with a fructose or sugar intolerance, a odd allergy, etc. Might try doing a very very simple diet. I could also be CC from your pan. Try eating WHOLE foods only nothing processed ,no sauces, condiments etc. Just try eating very simple 2-4 ingredient meals bland as possible to see if you can narrow it down. You probably developed some intolerance of have contaminated cookware. Try fixing your foods on a safe freezer paper lined surface. Perhaps get some new microwave cook ware and try steaming some simple veggies, and having them with some gluten-free certified bone broth like pacific foods, Try eating on rotation keeping a food diet and writhing down how what makes you feel like what. See if you find a pattern, like starchy foods, cause bloating, or meats cause issues. Some of us have developed allergies to meat, corn, night shades, potatoes, rice, etc. Oddest things just pop out of no where with this disease. Perhaps some others can give you some more tips but keep us updated and good luck will keep you in my prayers and think on this some more and see what I can brainstorm for you.

• Upvote 1

Hello and welcome :)

9 hours ago, SadBlueDot said:

Ever since I got real sick a few months back and finally got diagnosis with celiac I haven't been able to eat anything without pain. 

Since you're only a few months into the diet I hope you don't mind me directing you to this thread:

There is a lot of good advice there, much of which you're unlikely to have heard from your doctor. It would be well worth reading through to check that you're not slipping up. Have you gone through your kitchen for instance and checked for scratched pans, got new wooden utensils and chopping boards? If it's a shared kitchen do you have your own space to keep a sieve, chopping board? Are you sharing condiments, butter or jam? Are there spice packs that may have gluten in them? 

That's important but also remember that the first few months on the diet are rough for many people and beyond gluten getting in even in trace amounts it's not unusual to find that other foods are causing issues. With that in mind you may want to consider Ennis's suggestion and move to whole foods as much as possible. I know the diet seems restrictive enough as it is, but treat the next few months as a detox time where you do as much to help the healing process as possible.

At this point it's difficult to digest even gluten free breads, cereals etc. Try to avoid things that come in packs or boxes! If you can simplify your diet and find some simple but highly nutritious meals that agree with you this would help you in this healing time. For me it was omelettes! They were a revelation :D I could fill them with veggies like spinach, mushroom, kale, avocado etc. They're packed with protein, amino acids and they keep you full for a long time. 

I also ate a lot of salads, alongside fish often, smoked mackerel or prawns. I avoided dressings but had plenty of olive oil and cider vinegar, although you could leave that for now if your stomach doesn't like it. 

You can go overboard on fruit, it can be acidic as you may have found with the pineapple but I ate bananas, apples, berry's and more, I just had them with yogurt to lessen the impact on my stomach. Although in the early stages you may find you need to cut down on dairy too, a lot of us find it causes problems. These days I mostly avoid it and have coconut rice milk instead. 

Keep a food diary as you make any changes so you can see what works for you. Go simple to begin with and then add as you feel better and want variety. Make sure you take a good quality gluten-free vitamin tablet too. 

I know its worrying but the more you take action, the better you'll feel. :)

Best of luck, you've found a great site and there's lots of people here who will offer support and advice!