• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

danikali

Lots Of Little Questions

Rate this topic

Okay everyone,

What are the common allergies again with gluten intolerlant people? I have already eliminated dairy but I feel like it is time to really eliminate EVERYTHING that might hurt me, only eat, COMPLETELY SAFE foods, and then do that whole rotation thing to figure out if anything else bothers me.

I'm really scared of the way my body is feeling and I'm only 21! So I'm going to really concentrate on EVERY SINGLE THING I EAT. I also just started a food diary yesterday.

Also, how long did it take for you (everyone) to feel almost normal or completely normal after going gluten free?

And one more little question: Does anyone else have very very foul smelling urine, espeically in the mornings? For the past year, I have noticed this. It smells like some kind of chemical or something, it's very very strong; not to be really gross, but I can smell it in the whole bathroom after I go and I'm sure healthy urine wouldn't do that. Does anyone know what that could mean? It's very weird.

Thank you!

I get that sometimes, comes and goes with no reason for it. It is a very strong smell and just nasty, never have figured that one out and I never know when it is going to happen......should mention it to the doctor I guess...... I am still new to the gluten thing too, but I noticed a difference in a matter of days as to how I was feeling. I haven't noticed an intolerance to anything else though, still eating dairy and etc....

asparagus??? It says asparagus can change the odor of your urine....I love asparagus, I wonder if it happens when I eat asparagus, will have to make it this week and see.

I get that sometimes, comes and goes with no reason for it. It is a very strong smell and just nasty, never have figured that one out and I never know when it is going to happen......should mention it to the doctor I guess...... I am still new to the gluten thing too, but I noticed a difference in a matter of days as to how I was feeling. I haven't noticed an intolerance to anything else though, still eating dairy and etc....

asparagus??? It says asparagus can change the odor of your urine....I love asparagus, I wonder if it happens when I eat asparagus, will have to make it this week and see.

hahah, you're funny. Yeah, my sister-in-law (to be) told me about that asparagus thing a few months ago. It's also funny because I had it last night for dinner! But I know it's not from that because the last time I had asparagus before last night was probably a year or more ago, and this urine thing happens practically everyday! :rolleyes:

Are you trying the diet on your own? Or have you been diagnosed..... :huh:

Could it be dehydration? I only ask b/c you say it is worst in the morning and thats usually from dehydration. Do you notice that it is very yellow? and painful?

When is the last time you had a urinalysis?

Hope you feel better :)

hahah, you're funny. Yeah, my sister-in-law (to be) told me about that asparagus thing a few months ago. It's also funny because I had it last night for dinner! But I know it's not from that because the last time I had asparagus before last night was probably a year or more ago, and this urine thing happens practically everyday! :rolleyes:

Are you trying the diet on your own? Or have you been diagnosed..... :huh:

I am on the diet on my own, went to the dr., but I noticed that I eat a very low gluten diet anyway and he said he wouldn't be surprised then if my tests came back "normal" which they did, I am still planning on have the scope thing done, jsut to see and I am going to ahve the genetic tests done. I have 4 boys and so if I do have it and have the gene, I want to be prepared for them.

My mom and grandma also have all the symptoms, so I am certain that is where it came from. My mom started watching her diet also, and since my stepdad is diabetic they eat very little gluten normally, but she has been noticing that when she DOES eat pizza/breads/pasta her "symptoms" all flare up. It is so strange that my grandma has been dealing with all this for 40+ years, my mom for 20+ and me for 9+ and we never associated with gluten until now.

Mom stayed up late one night watching the Discovery Channel and saw some show on Celiacs, called me first thing the next morning and sent me off to do research on it. We are almost textbook cases. Except for the rapid weight loss thing, but we all eat very little gluten anyway, jsut because we all try to eat healthy and etc.....fresh fruits/veggies, lean meats, etc....It still jsut amazes me that I never put 2 and 2 together regarding when all my symptoms would flare up. I tell (told) my husband all the time, "it doesn't matter WHAT I eat, I get gassy and bloated", but didn't ever put that to the whole grain bread I had, or etc.........

Sorry I type so much, I talk too much too B)

Dani -

Foul smelling urine could be from urine that has been sitting in your bladder for a while (such as overnight). You might want to try drinking more water, not only to dilute the urine, but to go to the bathroom more frequently.

This also relates to mookie03's reply about dehydration.

Just a suggestion... ;)

Cindy

Edited by kevsmom

Dani, I will talk the diet for you--they covered the urine prob and yeah--sometimes drinking more water will help! Some celiacs do have to give up dairy in the beginning and are able to add it back later on. In many people, the damaged villi cannot handle dairy--I never had a problem with dairy. I was gluten free for 3 years when I realized I had developed an intolerance to soy. I can handle soy lecithin and soy oil in margarine as long as there are other oils too--cant be all soy. Then in December last year, I found I also had developed an intolerance to corn. I can eat fresh or frozen corn, but not processed--no corn chips, no corn flours--that kind of thing. I cant tolerate tomatoes in any form, fresh or processed and I loved chili, spaghetti, goulash--ketchup :angry: . Also remember to read ingredients on your body supplies--lotions, shampoos, soaps, deodorants, perfumes and after shaves--even toothpaste. Vitamins and medications may contain gluten--they do not follow the same guidelines as foods. Maltodextrin in meds may not be corn based. Be very careful and if in doubt--dont use it. Hope this helps a little. Deb

I did the safe food only for about 1-2 weeks and felt much better then started to add stuff back in...if it bothered me, then I tried to figure out which ingredient was the culprit. I feel beter now than ever and we are continuing to expand what we eat for meals now that I have stabilized.

I have smelly urine occasionally. I thought about the asparagus thing, hadn't eaten it in weeks, I added lots of water to my diet, no help...still smelled, had all kinds of tests for kidney problems, infections, etc., none. It just seems to come and go and I don't really change my diet a lot (just different variations of what I can eat) so that can be ruled out, just don't know.

Hi everyone! Thanks for all your replys!

Stefi, I know what you mean about the dehydration because I do get that if I don't drink enough water. But I drink so much water these days, at least 2 huge glasses or sometimes 2 bottles with every meal, plus water in between meals, and I still will wake up like that. Sometimes, it burns, but most of the time, it doesn't. I know what you mean when you haven't had enough water and you feel like you have to go and only a little comes out and it hurts a little because I've had that a lot, especially after a night out of drinking. But no, it's weird because I go a lot, it's not bright yellow or anything (pretty regular looking, not water, but not yellow) but that chemical smell still happens. Who knows? Maybe it will get better the longer I am gluten free ...?

Well, yesterday, I ate all natural, whole foods, nothing processed AT ALL, (well, rice milk), anyway, I'm feeling a little better today. I should probably just keep this up. No Amy's soup for a while, or anything like that! And yeah, dairy will be out of my diet for sure for a while.

I drink so much water these days, at least 2 huge glasses or sometimes 2 bottles with every meal, plus water in between meals, and I still will wake up like that.

You probably shouldnt drink all that water with your meals. If your drinking 2 bottles of water while you're eating it will interfere with digestion. I don't drink any water until a half hour after I've eaten. Also eating small meals will help with healing and digestion.

From personal experience these two causes gave me what you're talking about:

1) eliminating all starches, sugars, carbs from diet (or low carb)

2) eating a lot of canned meats like canned chicken or tuna

It sounds like you may have a low-grade urinary tract infection. I'm no doctor, but I've read that UTI's are more common in celiacs because of diet.

Also, I personally experienced something similar to this in the few months prior to kidney stones. The build up of minerals which cause the stones can also cause foul smelling urine. If I were you I would definitely go to the doctor and have a urinalysis run. It could save you a big headache in the long run.

One more thing, I've noticed that if I drink too much coffee my urine will smell the next day. Maybe that's it???

Thanks for your replys. I know that it's not a UTI because I have been checked for that a million times and they never find an infection. The last urologist I went to just told me I have irritable bladder <_< ! It's like the same dumb excuse I got from most of my previous doctors, except that was for the bowel. I guess I have IBS squared! :lol: Stupid! So, that's why I'm questioning it now. Since I now know my bowel problems are not IBS, or at least there was an underlying cause for that (gluten), so now I'm wondering what the underlying cause for this irritable bladder is.

I also just got some tests in the mail from a recent doctor who did some bloodwork and told me she found nothing........Thank God I asked her to sent the results because there were some positives! Like for example, my albumin level was higher than normal, out of range. Well, after reading about this, I learned this means that I am dehydrated. I don't know why though because all I drink is water and herbal tea......does anyone else know what that could be from? It might be causing this weird headache I have to, let me explain this:

When I touch the right side of my head, even a piece of hair, the left side of my head gets a shooting pain, sometimes it goes into my teeth and jaw when it's really bad.......anyone ever had this? Or maybe know what that could mean? My finace keeps telling me he thinks it's just gluten withdrawl and my symptoms (some of them) are coming back worse than before and are with me everyday now and will eventually go away. What do you guys think? :(

Okay everyone,

What are the common allergies again with gluten intolerlant people? I have already eliminated dairy but I feel like it is time to really eliminate EVERYTHING that might hurt me, only eat, COMPLETELY SAFE foods, and then do that whole rotation thing to figure out if anything else bothers me.

I'm really scared of the way my body is feeling and I'm only 21! So I'm going to really concentrate on EVERY SINGLE THING I EAT. I also just started a food diary yesterday.

Also, how long did it take for you (everyone) to feel almost normal or completely normal after going gluten free?

And one more little question: Does anyone else have very very foul smelling urine, espeically in the mornings? For the past year, I have noticed this. It smells like some kind of chemical or something, it's very very strong; not to be really gross, but I can smell it in the whole bathroom after I go and I'm sure healthy urine wouldn't do that. Does anyone know what that could mean? It's very weird.

Thank you!

It could also be Thyroid. Now, while I was on synthroid I did still have the odor. Now that I am also gluten-free and on Synthroid, I no longer have the odor.