This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Arsenic in rice products?

Fbmb

Fbmb Rising Star

Ok, so I have another question for all of you professional Celiacs. I read an article recently that talked about a study that was done on people with Celiac's disease, which said that some of them (a small number) had high levels of arsenic in their systems because of all of the rice products that they eat. Now, I don't eat a ton of rice, but we do have gluten-free pasta a couple times a week, my son and I like rice Chex, and I know there's brown rice flour in the pizza crusts I use and in the gluten-free bread that I eat. How worried about arsenic poisoning do we need to be? I'm not downing rice at every meal but I do eat it daily, I'm sure. I rarely eat rice, rice. Usually it's the rice flour that's in things. Is this one more thing to keep me up at night? Because now I'm like, "Oh this is great. I'm trading gluten for arsenic."

I need to eat carbs. If I just eat fruits and veggies and meat I'll lose weight which stresses me out. I want to be able to eat toast with peanut butter and eggs but I worry my toast is killing me. Am I being a little dramatic.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

annlisa Rookie

BOBS RED mill makes an all purpose flour with no rice  try Quinoa flour  buckwheat flour tapioca  chic pea flour coconut flour almond meal ground into a flour  flax meal

all these things make great " toast"  and healthy alternatives to too much rice flour

yummy

Jmg Mentor
1 hour ago, Fbmb said:

How worried about arsenic poisoning do we need to be?

Check out this page and the advice on rice prep:

Open Original Shared Link

:)

cyclinglady Grand Master

And this from Consumer Reports:

Rice aside, stop giving your kids apple juice too as it can contain high levels of arsenic too!  Eat real apples -- not juice.  

cyclinglady Grand Master

All fruit and vegetables contain carbs.  So, you can survive just fine without grains.  You think the Eskimos were dining on rice and fresh salad?  I am not recommending that you go grain free, but consider expanding your list of veggies.  Add sweet potatoes, squashes, white potatoes (if you do not have an issue with nightshades), artichokes, taro, etc.  

It is okay to eat rice!  Just not every single day.  People tend to get into ruts consuming  the same 20 foods every week.  No wonder supplements are popular.  Work on expanding your diet.  Eat your toast with peanut butter.  Just not every single day for weeks on end!  I take that back......when foods are in season, we eat a lot of them daily.  Then it's over for another year.  We like to eat local as much as possible.    Nothing like that first watermelon of the season!!!! Waiting for blueberries too.  (Sorry, but imported produce is not the same, in my opinion).   I must say, that living in California is beneficial.  We grow almost 50% of the nation's produce!

Jmg Mentor
10 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

I must say, that living in California is beneficial.

I miss living in California :(

cyclinglady Grand Master
10 minutes ago, Jmg said:

I miss living in California :(

There are plenty of negatives......?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jmg Mentor
34 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

There are plenty of negatives......

I've forgotten them, just remember the good stuff. Weekends in Baja or Vegas or up Pacific highway to see the Redwoods and Frisco. Watching the sunrise at Mount Soledad and watching it drop into the Pacific in the evening. Carne Asada Burritos on Garnet* Solana beach ale* Gorgeous women entranced by my exotic accent, humboldt county weed, raves at the romper room, *1.99 are you out of your mind Denny Breakfasts, Christmas on the beach, *Beers in the gaslamp quarter.

I need one of these

220px-TARDIS1.webp

* which by the power of my imagination have magically become gluten free

AANNNYWAAY... Arsenic in rice. Yeah. 

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I eat pretty much grain free just fine, I eat fats instead. But on a side note I posted some specialty and grain free options as of late in the food alternative page where I list companies and food product alternatives. I honestly just welcomed bread back into my life, I found a company that makes grain free bread out of nut flours. Given you have to toast the dang bread to use it well but seems to work decently.

Pasta there are carb free versions out there, and there are ones made with quinoa, buckwheat, or other grains, I even know one company that makes nut flour based ones. You can get these gluten-free options and avoid the rice.

As to levels of arsenic they do test foods for these, and all should be safe, the trace amounts and the sheer amount you would have to eat to get effected is staggering, a bit of rice will not hurt you regardless if your concerned I know gluten-free watchdog does arsenic testing on products you could check and find the "safest ones" for your concerns.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I still prefer steaming, but I wash my white rice throughly.  I purchase California rice which has a lower level of arsenic.  Moderation is key to most everything!  ?

ravenwoodglass Mentor
On 4/30/2017 at 0:48 PM, Jmg said:

I've forgotten them, just remember the good stuff. Weekends in Baja or Vegas or up Pacific highway to see the Redwoods and Frisco. Watching the sunrise at Mount Soledad and watching it drop into the Pacific in the evening. Carne Asada Burritos on Garnet* Solana beach ale* Gorgeous women entranced by my exotic accent, humboldt county weed, raves at the romper room, *1.99 are you out of your mind Denny Breakfasts, Christmas on the beach, *Beers in the gaslamp quarter.

I need one of these

220px-TARDIS1.webp

* which by the power of my imagination have magically become gluten free

AANNNYWAAY... Arsenic in rice. Yeah. 

You stirred some very fond memories of a beautiful area of the country.  Have to go route 1 north from San  Fran more more time in my life.  Sorry very off topic but..

Jmg Mentor
8 hours ago, ravenwoodglass said:

Sorry very off topic but..

I think that was my line!

Archived