Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×

Rate this topic

Hi guys! I'm Allie, was diagnosed about two weeks ago. I've been receiving some conflicting advice about whether or not to continue consuming dairy, on all the blog posts I have read and general internet research, everyone says to avoid or lessen dairy intake until you are healed, which means been gluten free for about 12-18 months. But my dietitian who I recently started working with, who has been working with celiacs for 15 years, says that if I lessen my dairy intake I'm not only depriving myself of calcium but putting myself at risk for becoming lactose intolerant. Which I definitely do not want... However I do notice that recently (not sure if this is after I eat dairy or not) my stomach makes some odd rumbling noises... Thoughts? 

If you can tolerant dairy, go for it!  Not all celiacs are lactose intolerant.  Many are temporarily lactose intolerant and it can resolve with healing (all bets are off if genetically you are lactose intolerant).  

If you think your stomach rumbling is due to a lactose intolerance, cut back on those dairy products which contain the least amount of lactose, like hard cheeses or yogurt.  

I have vanilla ice cream every day for the calcium.

14 minutes ago, tessa25 said:

I have vanilla ice cream every day for the calcium.

Admit it, you are having it because it is ?.  I am diabetic and am not really supposed to eat it, but I am having some now (1/2 vanilla ice cream with cream poured on it).  By increasing my fat, it slows down the digestion.  My blood sugar does not rise as fast.  That and I am going to do some bicep curls!!!!

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

Admit it, you are having it because it is ?.

Lol.:D I always liked having one Nestle Drumstick every day. And after my liquid diet is over I will switch to one Haagen Daz bar every day. But at the moment I am living on mashed potato soup, vanilla ice cream and chocolate drink along with gummy vitamins, D3 and magnesium oxide. These are all I can have and have my blood test numbers go down. I have tried many things.