Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×

Rate this topic

after going gluten-free I initially felt better and lost some weight. now I feel fuzzy, foggy, shaky. should I have some blood tests.

4 hours ago, stacieb said:

after going gluten-free I initially felt better and lost some weight. now I feel fuzzy, foggy, shaky. should I have some blood tests.

Hey did you go gluten free?  And, I would think that feeling like that, you would speak to your doctor.  Lots of reasons to feel that way.

Edited by kareng

As Kareng said, there are numerous reasons for feeling that way. 

The blood tests for celiac disease are not really indicative of exposure in the sense that your levels will be extremely high when you are exposed, and drop down after a few days of gluten free eating. It is possible for levels to be in the elevated range for even a year after going gluten free, in fact it is expected in celiac patients! Continued adherence to a STRICT gluten free diet (including checking medications, condiments, and even things like gum and toothpaste or anything you may swallow is important to ensure gluten is not hidden in). 

As far as your  symptoms go, it could be anything, and you might take comfort in knowing that a lot of times nervousness and anxiety can produce such symptoms. This is not to discredit your symptoms, or to tell you that seeing a doctor is not the best thing to do, as you should always see a doctor if you feel it is necessary--but being aware of whether or not you are continually ingesting gluten, and being conscious of any anxiety you may be feeling for one reason or another is a good place to start in evaluating yourself (worry is a powerful thing). Good luck :)

• Upvote 1

i get similar symptoms from low blood sugar, does it stop after you eat something?

12 hours ago, stacieb said:

You were negative for celiac you said. How many months ago, 5? Did they do a biopsy? If so, was there any inflammation or damage? 

What symptoms led you to test for celiac?