Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
crb1998

New Symptoms After Going Gluten-Free?

Rate this topic

Hi everybody! I've been searching for answers to some of these things all morning but can't find much.

I was diagnosed with celiac through a biopsy from my last routine colonoscopy (I've also had Crohn's disease for 12 years) and I've been eating gluten free for about 2 or 3 weeks. I've been having some odd symptoms I didn't have before going gluten free (I didn't have any symptoms before at all actually) such as:

- extreme fatigue

- extreme hunger

- anal discharge/itching

- constipation

- stomach pain

Im just wondering if these are normal at first as my body readjusts? Just freaked out that I'm cross-contaminating myself somehow but I've been extremely careful. The anal discharge and itching is what made me finally post here, it's very uncomfortable. Please tell me if any of you have had a similar experience when first changing your diet.

Edited by crb1998
Clarification

Welcome!  

I can not say for sure, but the symptoms you listed can be attributed to celiac disease.  There is a period of adjustment and a very steep learning curve to the gluten-free diet.  I would suggest avoiding processed foods as much as possible until you see improvement or become confident.  Read the Newbie 101 thread pinned at the top of the "Coping" section of the forum.  It contains some valuable tips.  With both Crohn's and celiac disease, you probably have developed some food intolerances too.  Best to keep a food and symptom diary.  Avoid eating out, cut out even certified gluten-free oats too.  Eat soft well-cooked foods like stew or soup.  

Why the change when you were feeling okay prior?  Celiac disease is like a chameleon -- always changing.   My symptoms after a glutening have never been identical.  I just had anemia when I was diagnosed, but I knew of  a few food intolerances and was fine if I avoided them (e.g. Milk).  Yet later, I developed all the classic gut issues when exposed to gluten.  Go figure!

We are here to help each other.  No question is to silly to ask!  

2 hours ago, crb1998 said:

Im just wondering if these are normal at first as my body readjusts?

A lot of people go through a rough first few weeks on the diet. There could be lots of reasons, from the celiac damage or a 'withdrawal' from gluten itself: http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2015/03/27/gluten-withdrawal-symptoms-how-long-do-they-last/ (ignore the stuff about 'tapering' as this is not aimed at celiac patients)

It shouldn't last however and hopefully you'll soon be feeling better. 

All the best :)