Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
silvermoth

Does Celiac Disease Affect The Kidneys?

Rate this topic

Curious if Celiac affects the kidneys in any way? I had a bout of intense pain under my right rib cage that lasted almost 2 days. This pain was worse than child birth and constant. I ended up in the ER several times since this incident. I've had several ultrasounds, two CT scans, MRI of pelvis and abdomen, HIDA scan, colonoscopy and endoscopy. By the time I had the colonoscopy and endoscopy I was only eating gluten on occasion and I was in the hospital for 3 days fasting for various tests. I read your intestines can heal pretty fast making it so a biopsy would be negative- which in my case was negative. During this time I had many urinalysis done and something was always abnormal in them- blood in urine, high wbc, bacteria.. After this bout of pain I haven't been the same since. I always have pain in my ribs on each side (I've noticed the pain turns to burning and tingling pain if I eat gluten or dairy) After my second MRI (done with a brand new machine) I was told I have a "lymphocele" behind my left kidney- not attached. This radiologist was asked to look over all my previous scans and sure enough it's been there since day one. I read these can be a misdiagnosed urinoma. It got me thinking, I've had all these abnormal urinaysis test results, along with bubbles in urine, white mucusy strings and at times feeling of being kicked in the bladder especially at night. I'm told this would not cause my pain as it's only 2cm, but I beg to differ! I now have constant discomfort in my ribs and if I eat gluten my pains become worse. I usually get symptoms a day after, but I've had bad symptoms happen quickly (ate out at a restaurant that claimed to have strict gluten kitchen practices) I got bad cramping about 10 minutes into my dinner and felt like someone kicked me in the ribs days after. I made grain-free chocolate chip cookies for my family and I two days ago and I think I've been glutened yet again. I used Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips which have never bothered me before and Bob's Red Mill almond flour. I also used garbanzo bean brine in place of eggs as I'm intolerant of eggs. For the past 2 days I've felt like someone is pressing in my chest and my heart feels like it's fluttering (my husband checked several times, and it's beating fine) and I have a odd pit in my stomach almost like an excited feeling with burning, random bouts of pain in my abdomen and flank pain. I feel so weak and tired like I have the flu or an infection, I keep getting muscle aches and spasms in my upper back and neck and annoying headaches. I'm so scared it's affecting my kidneys yet again, but I have no idea if it even affects the kidneys or not. If anyone has been through anything similar or can tell me if Celiac affects they kidneys I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much. 

On 5/10/2017 at 7:26 AM, silvermoth said:

Curious if Celiac affects the kidneys in any way? I had a bout of intense pain under my right rib cage that lasted almost 2 days. This pain was worse than child birth and constant. I ended up in the ER several times since this incident. I've had several ultrasounds, two CT scans, MRI of pelvis and abdomen, HIDA scan, colonoscopy and endoscopy. By the time I had the colonoscopy and endoscopy I was only eating gluten on occasion and I was in the hospital for 3 days fasting for various tests. I read your intestines can heal pretty fast making it so a biopsy would be negative- which in my case was negative. During this time I had many urinalysis done and something was always abnormal in them- blood in urine, high wbc, bacteria.. After this bout of pain I haven't been the same since. I always have pain in my ribs on each side (I've noticed the pain turns to burning and tingling pain if I eat gluten or dairy) After my second MRI (done with a brand new machine) I was told I have a "lymphocele" behind my left kidney- not attached. This radiologist was asked to look over all my previous scans and sure enough it's been there since day one. I read these can be a misdiagnosed urinoma. It got me thinking, I've had all these abnormal urinaysis test results, along with bubbles in urine, white mucusy strings and at times feeling of being kicked in the bladder especially at night. I'm told this would not cause my pain as it's only 2cm, but I beg to differ! I now have constant discomfort in my ribs and if I eat gluten my pains become worse. I usually get symptoms a day after, but I've had bad symptoms happen quickly (ate out at a restaurant that claimed to have strict gluten kitchen practices) I got bad cramping about 10 minutes into my dinner and felt like someone kicked me in the ribs days after. I made grain-free chocolate chip cookies for my family and I two days ago and I think I've been glutened yet again. I used Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips which have never bothered me before and Bob's Red Mill almond flour. I also used garbanzo bean brine in place of eggs as I'm intolerant of eggs. For the past 2 days I've felt like someone is pressing in my chest and my heart feels like it's fluttering (my husband checked several times, and it's beating fine) and I have a odd pit in my stomach almost like an excited feeling with burning, random bouts of pain in my abdomen and flank pain. I feel so weak and tired like I have the flu or an infection, I keep getting muscle aches and spasms in my upper back and neck and annoying headaches. I'm so scared it's affecting my kidneys yet again, but I have no idea if it even affects the kidneys or not. If anyone has been through anything similar or can tell me if Celiac affects they kidneys I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much. 

Its ok I don't think it's gluten problems yet

On 5/17/2017 at 9:08 AM, Victoria5289 said:

Its ok I don't think it's gluten problems yet

I'm not really sure what you mean? 

1 hour ago, silvermoth said:

I'm not really sure what you mean? 

Don't pay any attention to that reply.

By the way I am so sorry you are suffering so much. I have no answers for you at all but hopefully someone will! When is the next time you see your doctor?