• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

AristotlesCat

Gluten Free Coffee

Rate this topic

I will just stick with christopherbean company, the fact the main sales rep I talk to has celiac in the family means a lot, she said they use it all the time. I tested some of the iffiest flavored version grounds for gluten all negative. NOT had any issues drinking all kinds of coffee from their company in the past few months. FACT the flavored ones actually taste like what they say and just need a bit of sweetener is making me a coffee addict again lol. Clearing a pot a day so far and looking forward to each day wondering what flavor I should do >.> today was banana foster coffee, its 7 am and i already am on my third cup.

If your still in doubt just buy their beans and grind your self.  I am grateful for the guy that started this thread as he ended up motivating me to start my campaign to find a gluten-free flavored coffee, where I ended up emailing several companies, I still saved 2 of the replies from companies saying DO NOT drink our coffee if you have celiac. Sorta funny how that brought up the issue and proved some points about gluten in the coffee industry.

On 5/10/2017 at 1:52 PM, cyclinglady said:

Not sure about how the K cups really work, but is anyone else using the machine?  Those with flavors or from other manufacturers could have gluten.  

I drink coffee without any issues, but just the plain stuff.  I think coffee is not on the Fasano diet because it can be harsh on a damaged GI system.  

Are you consuming oats?  About 10% of celiacs can not consume oats even if they are certified gluten free.  Do you eat out?  How many processed foods do you eat, including certified gluten free?   Have you been checked for vitamin or mineral deficiencies by your GI?  How many times has your antibodies been tested since your diagnosis.  It can a year or longer for antibodies to come down.  Years to heal from nerve damage...and some never heal.  Have you been tested for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis?  

Just throwing out suggestions.  I hope you figure it out.  ?

11 minutes ago, michaelens said:

I'm enjoying following this thread. May I add my 1.5 cents... I had to stop eating the oats from the major company due to consistent negative reactions and have found that I do NOT react to the oats company from family company in Wyoming. With coffee, I have to stay away from all coffee as I started reacting the same as the oats. Thankfully, I have found a small roaster whose product I have no reaction too. So, I can have my coffee & oats again without having a "bad" reaction!!!?

On 5/10/2017 at 7:44 AM, AristotlesCat said:

I am a coffee drinker and have celiac, and my doctors are telling me my celiac isn't under control. I am getting really bad peripheral neuropathy as a result and my energy levels are insanely low. I've been fanatical about checking labels and in the past few months (just out of pure vigilance to get to the bottom of things) I've only eaten food that is certified gluten free. I am not even making stuff from the produce section out of an abundance of caution. But still my celiac symptoms remain and the doctor tells me it isn't under control. The only possible thing I think it can be is coffee. I do drink Kuerig K-Cups (the Green Mountain Breakfast Blend). When I've contacted them they say there is no gluten in the coffee itself, but I am guessing it is possible there is a cross contamination issue. Does anyone know of coffee brands that are certified gluten free (or at least labeled gluten free and have a good reputation)? I will even go with instant if I have to. 

Also anyone else have positive or negative experiences with certain brands of coffee? 

Some of the proteins in coffee are altered in the processing and a cross reactive, not cross contaminate, reaction may occur. The altered proteins mimic gluten, and the results can feel the same.  Try going off the coffee for a week or two and see if your celiac symptoms improve.

If you want to continue drinking coffee, try organic whole bean coffees instead as they are the least processed. Avoid instant coffee because it is among the most processed.

I am not celiac, but I am gluten intolerant, and most processed coffees give me a moderate reaction, but it's uncomfortable enough that I avoid coffee. Another factor is pesticides. I've read that coffee is one of the crops most heavily treated by pesticides, thus the organic recommendation. I do well with most organic whole bean coffees.

35 minutes ago, Tassas said:

Some of the proteins in coffee are altered in the processing and a cross reactive, not cross contaminate, reaction may occur. The altered proteins mimic gluten, and the results can feel the same.  Try going off the coffee for a week or two and see if your celiac symptoms improve.

If you want to continue drinking coffee, try organic whole bean coffees instead as they are the least processed. Avoid instant coffee because it is among the most processed.

I am not celiac, but I am gluten intolerant, and most processed coffees give me a moderate reaction, but it's uncomfortable enough that I avoid coffee. Another factor is pesticides. I've read that coffee is one of the crops most heavily treated by pesticides, thus the organic recommendation. I do well with most organic whole bean coffees.

Cross reactive coffee - your body thinking coffee is gluten is just not true.  Its a myth that got started and won't die.  I can tell you that I was at the International Celiac Disease Symposium a few years back and the doctors laughed when this myth came up.  We were going through a lot of coffee at this conference!  

https://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/whats-with-all-the-talk-about-certain-types-of-food-causing-cross-reactivity/

Edited by kareng

Become your own detective in your body response to any food especially processed food (gluten-free parts per million permitted). Anything you eat often is organic!! Lower toxicity from pesticides etc. which are an irritant to the gut already in turmoil. Coffee (whole bean and ground), sugar,   Even spices and supplements.  

I cannot eat any brown rice which is in nearly all processed  breads and some celiac s do not tolerate white rice. The only great bread I have found is Whole Foods  365 sandwich bread which is frozen and reasonable price for the quality.

Get gluten enzyme and take it with any processed food because you still need to eat. 

Then make your own hot drink with green tea, fresh ginger root, lemon and whatever comforts your body!!!

Then make your own healing drink with green tea, fresh ginger, lemon and whatever comforts your body every day!!