Jump to content
  • Sign Up
  • Join Our Community!

    Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi, 

I'm hoping I can get a bit of guidance here until I get an appointment with a second doctor... I just had a second celiac panel and am confused about my results, as well as my doctor's interpretation. Any help or advice is appreciated, as I am totally new to learning about celiac disease. 

First testing (Oct 2016) 

Gliadin IGA 2.4  (normal range <14.9)

Gliadin IGG 19.2 (normal <14.9)......HIGH

ttG IGA  .5 (normal <14.9)

ttG IGG .8 (normal <14.9)

 

Second testing (May 2017)

Gliadin IGA 1.8 (normal <14.9)

Gliadin IGG 23.7 (normal <14.9).....HIGH (even higher than first test)

ttG IGA .5 (normal <14.9)

ttG IGG .8 (normal <14.9)

 

 

I also tested positive for ANA (autoimmunity), negative rheumatoid arthritis, have an enlarged thyroid (but no hashimotos).  I also experience diarrhea, gas, bloating, acid reflux/heartburn, extreme fatigue all the time, sensitivity to dairy. inflammation markers normal, normal HIDA scan, normal CT scan of abdomen. 

 

Doctor says "unlikely that you have celiac or gluten issues, i believe this positive igg is some sort of cross reaction"  but is unable to explain any further.....trying to research leads me to mixed answers. 

Any advice? 

 

Thank you so much .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A high on any one celiac test should result in a gastroenterologist doing an endoscopy to see if there is a positive diagnosis of celiac. There are members here that were only high on one test.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just so you know, the test for gliadin IgG and IgA are probably deamidated gliadin.  This is important because those are considered very accurate celiac tests.  By your IgG levels, it would indicate celiac disease, but would need to be confirmed by biopsy.  See below...

This is from Mayo Clinic:

Positive test results for deamidated gliadin antibodies, IgA or IgG, are consistent with the diagnosis of celiac disease.

 

Negative results indicate a decreased likelihood of celiac disease.

 

Decreased levels of deamidated gliadin antibodies, IgA or IgG, following treatment with a gluten-free diet are consistent with adherence to the diet. Persistence of high levels of antibodies following dietary treatment suggest poor adherence to the diet or the presence of refractory disease. 

Cautions help-16.gif

Measurements of deamidated gliadin antibodies should not be relied upon exclusively to establish or rule out the diagnosis of celiac disease.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tessa25 said:

A high on any one celiac test should result in a gastroenterologist doing an endoscopy to see if there is a positive diagnosis of celiac. There are members here that were only high on one test.

 

 

Thank you for this information!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Feeneyja said:

Just so you know, the test for gliadin IgG and IgA are probably deamidated gliadin.  This is important because those are considered very accurate celiac tests.  By your IgG levels, it would indicate celiac disease, but would need to be confirmed by biopsy.  See below...

This is from Mayo Clinic:

Positive test results for deamidated gliadin antibodies, IgA or IgG, are consistent with the diagnosis of celiac disease.

 

Negative results indicate a decreased likelihood of celiac disease.

 

Decreased levels of deamidated gliadin antibodies, IgA or IgG, following treatment with a gluten-free diet are consistent with adherence to the diet. Persistence of high levels of antibodies following dietary treatment suggest poor adherence to the diet or the presence of refractory disease. 

Cautions help-16.gif

Measurements of deamidated gliadin antibodies should not be relied upon exclusively to establish or rule out the diagnosis of celiac disease.

Thank you for this info! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deamidated Gliadin (assuming this was what your test was...does it happen to say Gliadin Lite II anywhere?) can show up positive for diseases other than celiac. It is a newer test, roughly 10 years old (used under that amount of time in the states) and the research is ongoing. It replaces the OLDER gliadin tests which MOST labs no longer use, but SOME still do. Trouble is, it has such a similar name to the older tests, most docs do not even know that it is a newer version and the old tests got such a bad rap, they disregard them all together.  All of the previous research on Deamidated Gliadin is that it is highly specific to celiac disease. Newer research is showing that this is not necessarily the case.

 

That being said, given the mixed research on the test and the fact that members here have had celiac disease damage on biopsy with only DGP being positive, I think it is irresponsible to not move forward with a biopsy and genetic testing. DGP shows up positive in young children before TTG does and it is possible it does the same in adults. More research needs to be done on that. In fact, one of the recent studies on false positive DGP actually points out one of the limitations of the study was the inability to track the participants for development of celiac disease.

 

STAY ON GLUTEN. Going off of it and on it again may effect your biopsy results as there is no "set" amount of time for a gluten challenge to cause the kind of damage in significant amounts to be picked up on biopsy.

 

You should also have an EMA test done. Rare that it would be positive with a negative TTG, but still possible as  some on these boards could tell you.

 

"cross reaction" to what? DGP can be found positive in autoimmune diseases, but I am unaware of what "cross reaction" means. Sounds like bulls$#& to me.

 

You might need to shop for another doc while you continue eating delicious donuts (chocolate covered white cream) awaiting your further testing.

 

Good luck.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2017 at 3:21 PM, sgf743 said:

Hi, 

I'm hoping I can get a bit of guidance here until I get an appointment with a second doctor... I just had a second celiac panel and am confused about my results, as well as my doctor's interpretation. Any help or advice is appreciated, as I am totally new to learning about celiac disease. 

First testing (Oct 2016) 

Gliadin IGA 2.4  (normal range <14.9)

Gliadin IGG 19.2 (normal <14.9)......HIGH

ttG IGA  .5 (normal <14.9)

ttG IGG .8 (normal <14.9)

 

Second testing (May 2017)

Gliadin IGA 1.8 (normal <14.9)

Gliadin IGG 23.7 (normal <14.9).....HIGH (even higher than first test)

ttG IGA .5 (normal <14.9)

ttG IGG .8 (normal <14.9)

 

 

I also tested positive for ANA (autoimmunity), negative rheumatoid arthritis, have an enlarged thyroid (but no hashimotos).  I also experience diarrhea, gas, bloating, acid reflux/heartburn, extreme fatigue all the time, sensitivity to dairy. inflammation markers normal, normal HIDA scan, normal CT scan of abdomen. 

 

Doctor says "unlikely that you have celiac or gluten issues, i believe this positive igg is some sort of cross reaction"  but is unable to explain any further.....trying to research leads me to mixed answers. 

Any advice? 

 

Thank you so much .

 

This test told a story of chromes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Top Posters +

  • Upcoming Events

    • March 24, 2019 Until March 27, 2019
      0  
      NEW ORLEANS GOURMET GLUTEN-FREE mini GETAWAY    March 24 ~ 27, 2019   We have arranged a fun and Gluten-free food filled mini in the city known for it's food and fun.  We have arranged to eat many of the famous dishes that aren't usually Gluten-free at a few of the World Renown restaurants.   Staying at the Royal Sonesta Hotel on Bourbon Street in the center of the French Quarter, you'll be able to enjoy the ambiance of the city at all hours.   Our itinerary will include a Luxury Coach tour of the city and surrounding area - Admission to The National World War II Museum, including the Tom Hanks" 4D film "Beyond All Boundaries" - an exciting Airboat ride and tour through the Bayou.      This it the 3rd time we have visited New Orleans and it has always been well attended, so join us even if you've been there before.  Check out our website for the complete itinerary and cost.    Due to contractual obligations we must have 20 participants by October 31, 2018 to make this a go.      If you have any questions just give us a call at 410-939-3218.  Bob & Ruth info@bobandruths.com (410) 939-3218
    • March 27, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM
      0  
       
       
       
      Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group
       
       
       
      Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.
       
      The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.
       
      The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.
       
      The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • March 30, 2019 Until March 31, 2019
      0  
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com 
       
I have Zanier heated gloves, but my Marmot Expedition mittens work better for walking the dogs. When your core and head are cold your body sacrifices the extremities or so I've been told.
  • Blog Entries

  • ×
    ×
    • Create New...