Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
3 3
Deepak

Deepak

Rate this topic

Having been a celiac, off gluten for many years, i recently realised that after drinking wine (white/red) i developed acute rash, itching & swelling on my face along with redness. I was told that sulphites in the wine, may cause this reaction, but it's harmless except uncomfortable, and subsides after three or four days.

Not wanting to believe this, i checked myself out over a number of weeks, and sure enough, the wine was actually causing the rash!!

My question to the forum is..does this make wine unsuitable for us celiacs? and is there any antidote other than taking an anti allergy tablet after it occurs?

5 hours ago, Deepak said:

Having been a celiac, off gluten for many years, i recently realised that after drinking wine (white/red) i developed acute rash, itching & swelling on my face along with redness. I was told that sulphites in the wine, may cause this reaction, but it's harmless except uncomfortable, and subsides after three or four days.

Not wanting to believe this, i checked myself out over a number of weeks, and sure enough, the wine was actually causing the rash!!

My question to the forum is..does this make wine unsuitable for us celiacs? and is there any antidote other than taking an anti allergy tablet after it occurs?

Wine is considered safe for Celiacs.

This reaction may have nothing to do with Celiac.  A reaction to sulphates is separate from Celiac

Do you get this reaction from any other alcohol?

Edited by kareng

A terrific blog by fellow celiac and doctor speaks of sulfite intolerance.  She found that her intolerance is related to Mast Cell Activation Syndrome.  It is worth reading and checking out.  Lots of good information that may or may not be relevant, but it's good to look at the whole picture. 

Post on Sulfite Intolerance:

http://www.thepatientceliac.com/tag/celiac-disease-and-sulfite-intolerance/

Post on Mast Cell Activation Syndrome:

http://www.thepatientceliac.com/2014/01/04/mast-cell-activation-syndrome-madness/

By the way, her blog covers lots of current celiac research.  

Wine should not impact a healed celiac in theory.  Unfortunately, many of us develop intolerances or other illnesses along the way.  If you suspect a sulfite intolerance, then avoid those foods that contain high levels.  You will have to experiment and determine your own intolerance level.  So, all sulfite-containing foods may not bother you, you might be able to tolerate a small amount or you might have to avoid them all completely.  You might find that it is related to other seasonal allergies in terms of what your immune system is willing to handle.  

Good to know that anti-histamine help, but DGP finding the right combination of moderation or avoidance is probably better that daily anti-histamines.

Jebby or Jessica's  site is a good celiac resource.  Research zonulin and leaky gut.  It probably helps explain the possible clause of intolerances.  We just have to move forward and deal with them.  

Vodka & Gin also give the same kind of reaction. Rum doesn't

Edited by Deepak
Misspelt word