Celiac Disease FAQ | This site uses cookies GDPR notice. Read more... ×
1 1
cristiana

Folate/folic acid? Does anyone supplement?

Rate this topic

Hi gluten-free friends

Is anyone supplementing with folic acid or folate? 

I'm wondering what the difference is and also, is it good to supplement these or is there a risk? (I've seen arguments either way).

I totally understand it is better to eat vitamins than pop pills, but as my levels were just above the lowest borderline for normal when they were last tested I'm wondering if the tingling I still have after four years gluten free might be improved if I supplement with this. My B12 is near 500 now, so I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem.  Of course, it could just be that my nerves are damaged and won't recover any more (although they are much better than they were).

Many thanks.

Are you also on magnesium? How are your potassium levels? Both these also effect nerve health. I get a tingling, followed by a feeling of hot needle tingling in waves when I am low on magnesium. (I tried to rotate off the supplement magnesium this week...lasted 2 days before it progressed to that).  Anyway I take a complex in liquid form for combinations of these myself. and also use 2tbsp of nutritional yeast in at least 2 different meals a day as a more natural way of getting various nutrients.  I will link what I use with info on them, I feel much better mixing them in a beverage then popping pills,

This is the company and their products http://www.liquidhealthinc.com/products

http://www.liquidhealthinc.com/liquid-vitamin-b-complex 

^Stress and Energy I take 1 tbsp 3 times a day

http://www.liquidhealthinc.com/products/liquid-health™-neurologic-brain-health-supplement

^Along with 1 tbsp of this 3 times a day I mix them up in a green tea normally. Sweetens the tea and adds flavor to it.

The company provides various other supplements like multivitamins etc all gluten free. Best part is they are all liquid form so no pills and quick effective absorption. I suggest buying them on luckyvitamin.com for best pricing.

• Upvote 1

On 5/12/2017 at 1:13 PM, Ennis_TX said:

Are you also on magnesium? How are your potassium levels? Both these also effect nerve health.

Ennis - Hi!

This is really helpful.  I've wondered about the sort of supplements based on yeast.  I'll look into it.

You are right - I'm sure my magnesium levels and potassium levels should be looked into, too.  I don't think I've ever had a magnesium test but I did score low on potassium on a few occasions.  I wish there was such a thing as a home test kit - could really keep on top of these things.

Off to swallow some magnesium now _ have got out of the habit of taking it.

Cristiana