Celiac Disease FAQ | This site uses cookies GDPR notice. Read more... ×
Browniebaby3

The pain is unbearable

Rate this topic

I'm about to get really real, but I'm in desperate need of any advice! Last year I was diagnosed as celiac and since then I've still been recovering. Recently I was badly glutenized. This is the worst I've felt since starting my gluten free diet. I was wondering if anyone else gets painful watery poos after being glutenized, because I feel that my constipation and the dreaded d are very irregular compared to others experiences and this is very concerning. I'm not sure how to deal with the stmptoms and pain as it is very extreme. Many nights I've been awake in the bathroom for hours and hours. Sometimes the pain is absolutely unbearable. any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Edited by Browniebaby3

I know it is little comfort but that is a normal reaction to being glutened. All you can do let your body clear itself and try your best not to get glutened again. Do read the Newbie 101 thread at the top of the Coping section as it has a lot of good info to keep you safe. Being celiac and being gluten free unfortunately is so much more than just what we eat. It is how it is prepared and what it is prepared in and with. We all make lots of mistakes early on but hopefully your glutenings will be less and less as you get better at the lifestyle. Go with as much whole unprocessed food as you can and do avoid oats until you are well healed as some of us will react to them even if the are labeled gluten free.  Welcome and hopefully you will be doing better soon.

I think Ravenwoodglass missed the fact that you have been diagnosed as a celiac for a year.  Are you sure you were glutened?  To confirm, ask for a celiac antibodies test.  This will confirm a celiac flare-up or at least rule out celiac disease as the cause of your current issues.  Oh, you should be screened annually anyway:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/how-often-should-follow-up-testing-occur/

If negative, you doctor can look for other reasons.   Hope you feel better soon!