This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New to DH Diagnosis

F250IDI

F250IDI Newbie

Howdy,

No stranger to forums as I've found them to be a great tool for my interests in motorcycles and old trucks but now find myself needing to educate myself in dealing with Celiac Disease. I'm a male in my fifties now and have had to deal with eczema since I was about six years old that was mostly contained to my feet and legs and outgrew it for the most part in my teens. I would have occasional flare ups but about three months ago my elbows and upper torso broke out in blisters and itched like no tomorrow.

I hoped it would go away and used Cortisone for relief but finally made an appointment with the Dermatologist. As I'm sure most do, I began researching the internet since this outbreak seemed different than my eczema as a child, and wondered if DH was the culprit. When I showed the Doc and expressed my concern he said, "I have dozens come in that think they are Celiac and are not...but you, most likely are". He did two biopsy's, one for a local lab and the other he sent to the Mayo Clinic and a week later it was confirmed.

At the time of the biopsy results I had been gluten-free for two weeks but to my surprise they told me to start eating gluten again as they wanted to do a upper GI scope and needed some lesions to biopsy. I took full advantage and formed a bucket list that ended with pancakes the night before the scope. Still waiting for those results that should come any day and started Dapsone the day after. They have me doing blood work weekly to start and I hope to be off that stuff within a year.

My wife has been gluten-free for the better part of ten years as gluten and dairy just don't agree with her. This has been helpful to me since she knows what the good stuff is and we both do the weekly shopping together and so I've learned a lot already, I am somewhat concerned about hidden gluten though, so I still have much to learn.

Looking forward to meeting other members of the forum.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Welcome to the forum.  Be sure to browse through the DH section for advice and tips.  

Glad your wife is gluten free.  My hubby was gluten free some 12 years before my diagnosis.  Sure makes it a bit easier!  

F250IDI Newbie

Thanks for the welcome. Endoscopy results came in the morning confirming Celiac, but they also found cells called Eosinophils which apparently has something to do with white blood cells. They want to do another scope in 8 weeks to see if they're still there.

Archived