Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
spartnbu

Chili's Gluten Free HELP

Rate this topic

What type of gluten does Chili's Chicken Enchilada soup contain? Wheat, barley, or rye? I am not sure and I accidentally ate some. This determines if I go to the hospital or not. Does anyone have an answer before I have to go?

I think that is a question you should be asking the manager or chef.   My best guess would be wheat, but no matter.  All three (wheat, barley or rye) can make a person who has celiac disease sick.  

Do you have celiac disease?  Or is it an allergy to wheat (big difference)?  Celiac disease is not immediately life-threatening, but an allergy could be.  

If you are having a severe life-threatening reaction, then call 911.  

Edited by cyclinglady
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, cyclinglady said:

I think that is a question you should be asking the manager or chef.   My best guess would be wheat, but no matter.  All three (wheat, barley or rye) can make a person who has celiac disease sick.  

Do you have celiac disease?  Or is it an allergy to wheat (big difference)?  Celiac disease is not immediately life-threatening, but an allergy could be.  

I ordered it online and it was an accident. The store is now closed and the internet is not offering any solutions. The customer service helpline is useless.

Okay, you ordered it online.  What does the ingredient label say?  I did not even know they made a canned or packaged soup?  Or did you order online and picked it up at the restaurant?  

Maybe there is no gluten at all.  Maybe they only use masa flour (corn) as the soup base.  

Edited by cyclinglady

Looks like this soup does contain gluten:

https://www.chilis.com/docs/Chilis-Allergen-Generic.pdf

The page that lists gluten free options does not show the enchilada soup as being gluten free (scroll down a few pages).  

Edited by cyclinglady

Unsure but I would say wheat, when making that kind of soup you normally use wheat base flour as a thickening agent when preparing the soup. Often formed into a roux with the meat juices after cooking the meat and before adding the rest.

-_- Yeah I have issues with the pick up thing too, never accidentally ordered but I have to call them after every order to make sure they know it is me (manager knows me) and they do not put seasonings or sauces on stuff.   It is one of two restaurants in town I trust, but there are only two sides they do that are safe. I bring my own sauce, and main meal order the sides and a drink and go there to fee like a normal human sometimes. lol

On a cooking note you can make your own using another flour, a deep nutty flavor like sorghum works great with this or garbanzo for the roux. You can also go and apply another technique where you take some roma tomato chop them up and stir them simmering with a bit crushing them with the ladle in the ban and it will thicken in to a roux like consistency. I find this last method pairs well with a cooking wine to deglaze and add brightness when finishing and can be used for flavorful soup bases or gravies.