Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×

Rate this topic

So this is all new to me. Had an endoscopy done. Showed inflammation, some biopsies were taken etc. researching going gluten free and I'm completely baffled. What I've read says even a trace of gluten can be "poisonous"( sorry for the dramatics) to a person with celiac, yet gluten free doesn't mean 0 gluten. How is that supposed to provide any peace?  Someone said to get rid of even appliances that had gluten in them due to contamination. How is it that crumbs in a toaster are worse than gluten in supposedly gluten free food? The diet itself doesn't scare me. I've actually found comfort in all the gluten free options. Baking mixes, doughs, pasta, pizza crusts, etc. I was very pleased that I could maintain eating what I like with relatively minor adjustments. The concern being that even doing this, there's still a possibility of consuming gluten just makes me feel like I'm never going to get ahead with this. Any advice?

30 minutes ago, Christory77 said:

So this is all new to me. Had an endoscopy done. Showed inflammation, some biopsies were taken etc. researching going gluten free and I'm completely baffled. What I've read says even a trace of gluten can be "poisonous"( sorry for the dramatics) to a person with celiac, yet gluten free doesn't mean 0 gluten. How is that supposed to provide any peace?  Someone said to get rid of even appliances that had gluten in them due to contamination. How is it that crumbs in a toaster are worse than gluten in supposedly gluten free food? The diet itself doesn't scare me. I've actually found comfort in all the gluten free options. Baking mixes, doughs, pasta, pizza crusts, etc. I was very pleased that I could maintain eating what I like with relatively minor adjustments. The concern being that even doing this, there's still a possibility of consuming gluten just makes me feel like I'm never going to get ahead with this. Any advice?

Everything with the gluten-free certification must be below 20ppm in a lab test. THAT is much much less then a crumb. Toasters are cheap just get a new ones. If you eat whole foods only your chances are much much less of getting CCed. We normally suggest no gluten-free processed foods (dough, mixes, chips, crackers. breads etc) for the first few months only eating whole foods to boost your healing also remove dairy and oats as they can be hard to process with the initial damage (Diary requires the enzyme lactase which is produced by the tips of the villi in the intestines which are the most damaged).   To make it much easier clean our your microwave really goods, put down some paper towels in the bottom when you use it and get some nordicware microwave cook ware, a new mixing bowl. measure cup, spatula, and some basic eating and cooking utensils and you can start fixing stuff that way starting off without worry. I love steamed veggies, omelettes, etc done this way so tender and easy to digest.  I might also suggest using freezer/butcher paper for a clean prep surface starting off also makes clean up a breeze since you just trash it when done.  You can get the rest of you appliances, pots, pans and everything else changed over later. And this makes it simple to get started....PS crockpot liners are a life saver and making huge pots of stew, or roast in them from raw ingredients is super simple and you can eat on it for days.

• Upvote 1

Many celiacs can eat 10- 20 mg of gluten per day (10-20 ppm in one kilogram of food) without adverse effects.  That is roughly equivalent to 1/16-1/8 teaspoon flour.  More than a trace, but still a small amount.  Some of us cannot handle that amount.