Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
AnLi

Gluten Free Food but not certified

Rate this topic

Can a store have in their Gluten Free location food that is not certified gluten free and that says on label "May contain wheat" or "processed in facility with wheat".  I complained about this but was told that it can be done like this in USA as long as wheat isn't in the ingredient list.  Is this true?

10 minutes ago, AnLi said:

Can a store have in their Gluten Free location food that is not certified gluten free and that says on label "May contain wheat" or "processed in facility with wheat".  I complained about this but was told that it can be done like this in USA as long as wheat isn't in the ingredient list.  Is this true?

There are no rules that regulate where groceries put things.  Should they put stuff that doesn't at least claim to be gluten-free in a gluten-free section?  Probably not.  I would ask them why the canned veggies and the produce and meat aren't in the gluten-free section?  They have no gluten ingredients.

This is why many of us stick to our own "Trusted Brands" of things we know are safe, and only buy stuff with the offical certification for gluten free. NOTE also in the US they do not HAVE to tell you their facility also processes wheat on the label, just if the actual product contains it in the ingredients. But many will just to avoid legal mumbo jumbo if they somehow have CC issues. Saying the facility also contains/processes wheat is just them covering themselves if people get sick from it.