Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
3 3
Splishsplashy

Communion?

Rate this topic

Hey y'all! 

So I just have a quick question, what do you Christian/Catholic celiacs do during communion? Since I've been diagnosed I've just haven't taken it but I was wondering if anyone had any alternatives? Thanks a lot! 

I make my own mini loafs of a simple almond,coconut,apple sauce blend for dense, bland bread gluten free, and have my pastor bless them. I then keep them in the freezer and bring a piece with me for communion.

It makes a difference if you are Catholic.

Don't want to get into a debate about why, but Catholic's must use some form of wheat in the host.  There is no such thing as a gluten free communion wafer at a Catholic Mass. The solution for a celiac is a LOW gluten host made from wheat starch.  That is not a solution that works for many celiacs.  You could also just take the cup, if it is offered, provided it does not have any of the host broken into it.  You do run the risk of cross contamination unless you are the first person receiving from the cup.

Spiritual Communion is sometimes all you can do if you don't have a priest that understands or will work with you.

My daughter has become very sensitive after a recent accidental high exposure to gluten. Her symptoms are neurological (loss of use of right foot and right arm, loss of balance, heaviness of limbs, loss of sight).   We spoke to our priest and he ordered a special small cup just for her. He leaves it covered during the consecration so there is no cross contamination.  My husband and I are Eucharistic Ministers and give it to her after we receive so the priest doesn't have to juggle so many things.  

So, that is the Catholic solution. There is information on the USCCB website to provide your priest if he needs guidance.

http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/the-mass/order-of-mass/liturgy-of-the-eucharist/celiac-disease-and-alcohol-intolerance.cfm