Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×

Rate this topic

Hey has anyone one here ever had a reaction to Chex corn honey nut cereal. It says gluten free but i think it may be contaminated 

11 hours ago, M_SMOOTH said:

Hey has anyone one here ever had a reaction to Chex corn honey nut cereal. It says gluten free but i think it may be contaminated 

I have had a hangover the next day.  I thought it might have been all the sugar. I can't eat a lot of sugar without suffering the next day.  Not sure if it's contaminated but I no longer eat it.  I hope you find your answer.

Hi M_Smooth,

I had reactions to the Honey Chex when they first came out with it years ago.  I haven't tried it since though.  I have eaten the plain rice Chex and Corn Chex more recently without a problem.  The simpler the better I guess.  I think Kix cereal is ok.  I seldom eat cereal anymore.  I do eat Quaker plain rice cakes sometimes for breakfast with peanut butter on them.  Or Corn Thins.  Mostly I eat something like eggs or meat or more protein loaded foods for breakfast.  They keep me going better during the day and I don't get hungry again so soon. 

Edited by GFinDC

I eat it.  They have always done a good job with the Chex cereals.   

I don't eat the Honey Nut Chex due to sugar concerns, but do eat Rice Chex and Corn Chex regularly without any issues (and have been eating them for years).

Did you eat them with milk?  You might be temporarily lactose intolerant due to intestinal damage or you might be part of the population who are genetically lactose intolerant.  My lactose intolerance resolved on a gluten-free diet, but if I accidentally am exposed to gluten, I become lactose intolerant again for a few weeks or months.  ?

We have bought Chex for years.  But, like gluten-free in dC, I have moved to a more protein based breakfast.  Today was steamed broccoli and butter, eggs with butter and some berries topped with plain yogurt and heavy cream.    That kind of breakfast holds me over to lunch.  

• Upvote 1

On 5/30/2017 at 6:11 PM, M_SMOOTH said:

When I was first diagnosed I was eating corn Chex and they were making me sick. I think it was the corn. Chex does a good job of keeping things safe, but if you're like many of us you might have issues with corn. Even still if I eat too many corn chips I get a weird stomach. Try the rice Chex. Those have never bothered me.