Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
Fbmb

Just a weird belly, or gluten?

Rate this topic

I've been gluten free since November 9th. It's been up and down, but I would say that since February it's been "mostly" up. I have intermittent days when my belly is weird, mostly just loose stools. 

Today is one of those days. I wrack my brain trying to figure out if I had any gluten and I am sure I didn't. I'm so careful. But when you have celiac you never know if your weird belly is from gluten or something else - and I always assume it's gluten. I didn't have many symptoms before, and the ones I did have mostly just involved loose stools. 

I had a really terrible and stressful day Tuesday and into yesterday morning. I won't get into it but it was horrible. Maybe that screwed with my digestion? Because otherwise I have no idea why my belly would be weird. It was yucky yesterday morning too. I have an anxiety disorder and when my anxiety isn't as bad I notice that my belly is ok. If my anxiety picks up then it's not good. But I hate assuming anything is anxiety, as I did that before I realized I had celiac. 

Any tips? Am I still in that place of "ups and downs are normal"? It's been almost 7 months.

Hey man, it could be gluten or not, but as careful and as long as you have been on this diet I would say you have a higher chance of it being the stress, or perhaps you ate something else that disagreed with your stomach. I get these up and down days where some days a spice that did not bother me hits me one day with a bit more gas or a UC flare up. I think it is more to do with our guts being irritable and picky due to damage and this disease...I think stress makes the gut act more like a child being picky and throwing a tantrum also. I know I have been stressed to all hell this last month about working on a new gluten free food truck venture and acquiring some stuff for my bakery. I find I can not stomach spices at all this week, I am having to go all sweets/herbs. Get really gassy, bloated and sometimes burp stuff up when I think to much on it.