Celiac Disease FAQ | This site uses cookies GDPR notice. Read more... ×

Rate this topic

My husband just recently got diagnosed with celiac's disease we are wondering if we should get our son tested  to see if he carries the gene I guess you would say.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated as a lot of you, I have no one else to talk to about it thanks 

He is supposed to be screened for celiac every few years.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-is-the-prevalence-for-others-in-my-family-to-have-celiac-disease-since-ive-been-diagnosed-with-it-2/

autoimmune disease. The prevalence of celiac disease in 1st-degree relatives (children, parents, siblings) has been reported by numerous studies around the world to be significantly higher than in the general population, hence the need to screen every 1st-degree relative. The actual prevalence varies among the published studies, between 4-16%. Our own experience when testing for celiac disease in 1st-degree relatives is a prevalence around 5%, or 1:20. In 2nd-degree relatives (aunts, grandparents, uncles) a prevalence around 2.6%, or 1:39.

Welcome!  

Yes, your son should be tested for celiac disease, but I would not recommend genetic testing.  I was in the same predicament as you.  My daughter has tested negative (blood test -- antibodies) and her PCP also checked her thyroid and and for anemia (which was my only symptom) just in case she presented like me.  We thought about genetic testing.  If she does not carry the genes for celiac disease, there would be no need to continue to test her for celiac disease every few years or sooner  if symptoms warrant it.  However, we are self-employed and with the current situation in the US with healthcare, we do not want a celiac genetically noted comment in her health history (this actually came from our doctor!).  I personally have been denied insurance in the past due to my having autoimmune disorders.  

My daughter hates blood draws, but she can decide what she wants to do when she is paying her way in life.  

Edited by cyclinglady