Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×

Rate this topic

Hi. I have one child with biopsy confirmed Celiac. I had my other daughter, age 10, tested via labs as a screening tool. She has suffered with poor growth, chronic constipation, frequent stomach pains, and frequent illness. Her dgp IgG was elevated. Everything else came back negative. She is IgA sufficient. One doctor  says she is reacting to gluten, another doctor says the tests don't mean anything and she doesn't Celiac. Any input would be appreciated. 

IMG_6049.PNG

1 hour ago, chrisde1997 said:

Hi. I have one child with biopsy confirmed Celiac. I had my other daughter, age 10, tested via labs as a screening tool. She has suffered with poor growth, chronic constipation, frequent stomach pains, and frequent illness. Her dgp IgG was elevated. Everything else came back negative. She is IgA sufficient. One doctor  says she is reacting to gluten, another doctor says the tests don't mean anything and she doesn't Celiac. Any input would be appreciated. 

IMG_6049.PNG

Welcome!  

This is tough.  From my research, any positive on the celiac panel is worth a referral to a GI.  I personally tested positive to only the DGP IgA (even on follow-up testing), yet had intestinal damage per my biopsies.

Your child might just be starting to develop Celiac Disease, may have it already or might not.  That helps, huh?  ? Since she has a confirmed sibling, consider pushing for an endoscopy.  Make sure she is consuming gluten daily.  Hummm...was your child gluten light?  When I test my kid, since hubby and I are both gluten-free and our house is gluten free, we have to make sure she is consuming glu ten every single day for three months prior to testing (yep, you can find her out on the porch eating gluten.....ha! )  

i am sure others will provide more insight.  

I 100% agree with cycling lady. I have done a lot of research on DGP as well but will spare you. Both docs are correct in that it could or could NOT be celiac. However, with her symptoms, she would benefit from an endoscopy anyway so why not do one? Additionally, she does have a higher chance of having the disease with a sibling having it. 

Ugh. I cannot deal with symptoms and docs on my own without wanting to pull my hair out. I cannot imagine having to put up with it as a mom and I have a 6 yr old so I know it is coming! 

Good luck and keep us posted!