This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chicken Barbecue

Deades

Deades Contributor

I am on Day 2 of being diagnosed with silent celiac disease.  I have no physical symptoms.  My body does not absorb iron and calcium.  My question, I am committed to a fund raiser chicken barbecue and am wondering if the chicken will be okay if I don't eat the skin.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

If the chicken is coated in gluten, like fried chicken - no,  you will never get it all off.  You might check - often BBQ chicken is gluten-free.

In your case, because you have only been trying to be gluten-free for 2 days, it probably doesn't matter.  But, in my opinion, you may want to read up a bit about being gluten free.  Here is a good starting place  - 

cyclinglady Grand Master

Me?  There is no WAY I would eat at a BBQ fundraiser.  Like our high school band or water polo banquets, we purchased our tickets, ate beforehand and ordered a soda or coffee.  The goal was to have fun,  socialize and support our kid.   Sometimes, I order tickets and tell them not to tell the caterer and to pocket the cash for the booster clubs since we do not eat the food.    A win win for the booster non-profit clubs.  

cyclinglady Grand Master

By the way.....I just had anemia and osteoporosis.  No gut issues.  Now, with a gluten exposure, I get super sick with GI issues.  Odd, but true.    Just a heads up.  

The good news?  My anemia resolved within a few months, but I was pretty much a gluten free diet expert because my hubby has been gluten free for 12 years prior to my diagnosis.  

Deades Contributor

I am the same.  Anemia and osteoporosis.  Good to hear the anemia improved.  How about the osteoporosis?  Did you ever take any medicine?  I tried evista for 4 months and had a bad reaction.  Next I tried Boniva for 4 mo this and had a reaction.  I then stopped and haven't taken anything.  I am curious if the malabsorption would have prevented the osteoporosis mess from absorbing.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I was diagnosed 4 months after I went through the "window of menopause".  Yep, went for an "over 50" colonoscopy and during my GI consult,  he recommended celiac testing.  I was anemic (my entire life), but that was blamed on a genetic anemia and 30 day periods during perimenopause ....lovely.  I had no gut issues.  

Three months later, I fractured a few vertebrae doing nothing.  So, because I just went through menopause, I opted for Hormone Replacement for a year.  Two years later, my bone scan revealed no changes.  Not better, not worse.  I do exercise a lot for a person my age.  I do not take any supplements.  I prefer to obtain all my nutrients through my diet, but I eat really well.  Probably better than most.  

Everyone is different in terms of celiac damage.  They heal differently and have other issues than need to be taken into consideration.  

It has been four years since my fracture and I am doing well.  Gave up roller skating though.  Still ride my road bike.  Still running on a trail.  Still lifting those boring weights.   

Archived