Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×

Rate this topic

I have been having on and off stomach aches for about a year. I get frequent gas, bloating, urge to go poop, and my stomach almost always hurts in the lower part, like where my belly button is. I went to the GI last month and he ordered some lab tests and an upper GI. The upper GI came back negative. The lab tests tested for Celiac disease, and three of them came back negative except for the t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgG. My result was a 6 (weak positive), normal being from 0 - 5. My Immunoglobulin A also came back low (51), with a normal level being from 87 - 352.

I read about Immunoglobulin A deficiency and saw that people who are deficient are more likely to have celiac. I also read that people with celiac and IgA deficiency could have skin rashes, and I also have eczema. I'm going to do an endoscopy next month, but I was wondering if it is likely that I would have gotten a false positive since my result was just barely positive?

3 hours ago, yesilovecats said:

I have been having on and off stomach aches for about a year. I get frequent gas, bloating, urge to go poop, and my stomach almost always hurts in the lower part, like where my belly button is. I went to the GI last month and he ordered some lab tests and an upper GI. The upper GI came back negative. The lab tests tested for Celiac disease, and three of them came back negative except for the t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgG. My result was a 6 (weak positive), normal being from 0 - 5. My Immunoglobulin A also came back low (51), with a normal level being from 87 - 352.

I read about Immunoglobulin A deficiency and saw that people who are deficient are more likely to have celiac. I also read that people with celiac and IgA deficiency could have skin rashes, and I also have eczema. I'm going to do an endoscopy next month, but I was wondering if it is likely that I would have gotten a false positive since my result was just barely positive?

Welcome!

i am sorry that you are sick!  

From my research you produce enough IGA at least to validate the celiac IGA tests.  The value for a deficiency has to be close to zero and yours was just out of range.   Read more:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

The fact that you had a positive on the celiac panel warrants further investigation by a GI.  Your positive result could be false.  That is certainly a possibility.  

Celiac disease is linked to 300 symptoms and eczema can be one of them.