Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
Deades

Anemia and Osteoporosis

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with silent celiac disease 2 days ago.  I am 58 and have no idea how long I have had it.  I have always been anemic and was diagnosed with osteopenia when I was 50.  My question, does anyone have experience with this.  I am hopeful to see improvement in both conditions but don't know how long it takes.

I was diagnosed at 54. Main complaint when I went to doctor complaining of joint paint and fatigue. Lab work showed anemia serious enough they were talking iron and blood transfusions. After my endoscopy showed celiac disease I embraced the gluten free diet with vigor. Not only did I feel better, but about 8 weeks later, when I had follow up blood work, I was already out of the woods. Now mind you, I was indeed taking oral iron supplements and vitamin c. It took about 2 years before I was able to stop those. My bone density has always been normal, but I am a very tall, large framed woman

I got my celiac diagnosis at 64.  What prompted my doctor to test were my  high liver counts.  I do not drink alcohol at all.  She was as shocked as I was with the blood tests.  I never had stomach issues until about a year before, but I attributed this to the stress of two daughters getting married within 3 months.  To sum up my physician's advice--"You are really lucky; the gluten-free food is supposed to really be good."  YES, I have changed doctors!  Looking back, I have struggled with anemia my entire life.  For the last 18 months, I have been on a gluten-free diet and take a good multi-vitamin, magnesium, and a probiotic.  I cut out dairy, eggs, and several other random things that caused digestive issues.  My sweet husband of 43 years just doesn't quite get the changes I have had to make, but he is trying so hard.