Celiac Disease FAQ | This site uses cookies GDPR notice. Read more... ×
cyclinglady

Science has Begun Taking Gluten Seriously

Rate this topic

This article from the Atlantic is interesting.  Some scientists are studying things that interest people.  

I found this interesting:

"I talked with Lebwohl one morning recently in the hours before he started scoping, as he put it, or performing endoscopies and colonoscopies, looking through a fiberoptic tube at the parts of us most of us never see. There he has come to understand that celiac disease––and the effects of gluten––are still largely mysterious.

The textbook take on celiac disease is still that it’s an autoimmune condition. It is usually diagnosed by testing for antibodies called tissue-transglutaminase, and by taking a biopsy of a person’s small intestine after the person has eaten gluten. If a person has celiac disease, then Lebwohl expects to see that the finger-like villi of the intestinal wall have been obliterated, flattened like a mowed lawn.

But sometimes things get strange. Some of the people Lebwohl sees who have severe atrophy of their intestinal villi eat gluten and feel totally fine. It’s only when they stop eating gluten, and then are exposed to it at some later point, that symptoms arise.

He and the rest of the celiac team at Columbia also see many, many cases of the inverse: people with normal-looking bowel walls who feel horrible when they eat gluten."

The third paragraph?  That is me.  I had villi damage, yet I had no intestinal symptoms (was anemic)  until AFTER I stopped consuming gluten and got accidentally exposed.   Anyway, it makes for interesting reading.  

Here is the article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/05/gluten-research/526335/

• Upvote 1